- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Structural Fortran 77 for Engineers and Scientists (5TH 97 Edition)by Delores M. Etter
Synopses & ReviewsPlease note that used books may not include additional media (study guides, CDs, DVDs, solutions manuals, etc.) as described in the publisher comments.
This text was designed with three objectives in mind: to introduce engineering and science students to a problem solving technique that they can use in solving engineering problems; to provide a fundamental understanding of computers and to specifically develop a working knowledge of FORTRAN 77; and to motivate and excite students about engineering, and help them understand the types of problems that engineers solve.
* Engineering and Science Applications. Over 600 examples and problems representing a wide range of engineering and science applications, related to engineering disciplines ranging from mechanical, chemical, and electrical engineering to cutting-edge fields such as genetic, robotic and environmental engineering.
* Five-Step Problem Solving Methodology. The five-step problem solving methodology is consistently used throughout this Edition. The five steps are:
* State the problem clearly.
* Describe the input and the output.
* Work the problem by hand (or with a calculator) for a specific set of data.
* Develop a solution that is general in nature.
* Test the algorithm with a variety of data sets.
* Engineering Case Studies. The application sections form a set of 30 engineering case studies. Each case study includes a detailed development of the problem's solution along with sample data to illustrate testing the algorithm.
* Complete FORTRAN 77 Coverage. Complete coverage of FORTRAN 77 makes this book not only suitable for the first-time computer user but also as a valuable reference for the experienced user. In addition, only standard FORTRAN 77 statements and structures are used so all programs and statements are compatible with any FORTRAN 77 compiler.
* Fortran 90 Coverage. Fortran 90 is discussed in detailed notes throughout the text and in a special chapter at the end.
This introductory text is designed to teach FORTRAN as a first programming language. The text's applications-oriented approach motivates readers by bringing engineering concepts to life. The author's proven five-step problem solving methodology, stressing top-down design techniques, is used throughout the book as an organizing principle for addressing and solving engineering problems with FORTRAN 77.
Table of Contents
* Introduction to Problem Solving with FORTRAN 77
* Arithmetic Computations
* Control Structures
* Engineering and Scientific Data Files
* Array Processing
* Function Subprograms
* Subroutine Subprograms
* Additional Data Types
* Additional File Handling
* Numerical Applications
* FORTRAN 77 Extensions
* The Fortran 90 Standard
Appendix A: FORTRAN 77 Intrinsic Functions
Appendix B: Additional FORTRAN 77 Topics
Glossary of Key Words
Answers to Self-Tests
Answers to Selected Problems
What Our Readers Are Saying