- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Elders and Leaders : God's Plan for Leading the Church, a Biblical, Historical and Cultural Perspective (03 Edition)by Gene A. Getz
Synopses & ReviewsPlease note that used books may not include additional media (study guides, CDs, DVDs, solutions manuals, etc.) as described in the publisher comments.
Strong leadership in the church is exactly what God had in mind. However, very few people, Gene Getz believes, understand the biblical pattern for church leadership. He has written Elders and Leaders to unravel the mystery and alleviate the confusion surrounding this critical topic. In the first part of the book, Getz lays the historical and biblical groundwork for the position of elder. In the second part, he shares how he has applied or has seen these principles applied over the years.
HIGHLIGHTS- Tackles a sensitive topic with thorough scholarship and practical wisdom.- Will appeal to a broad audience of people sensing the need for direction for their church.- A perfect resource for the emerging generation of church leaders as they confront the complex challenges of a postmodern culture.
Getz tackles a sensitive topic with thorough scholarship and practical wisdom. This title will appeal to a broad audience of people sensing the need for direction for their church.
Unravel the mystery and alleviate the confusion surrounding the critical topic of church leadership and the role of elders. A practical guide founded on biblical insight.
For elders and other church leaders who sense the need for direction for their church, this book tackles a sensitive topic with thorough scholarship and practical wisdom. An ideal resource for the emerging generation of church leaders as they confront the complex challenges of a postmodern culture.
About the Author
GENE A. GETZ, (B.A., Rocky Mountain College; M.A., Wheaton College; Ph.D., New York University), a host and teacher of Renewal Radio, served as a professor at Moody Bible Institute and Dallas Theological Seminary. He has authored more than 60 books, including The Measure of a Healthy Church, Elders and Leaders, and the Men of Character series. He has been a church planting pastor in the Dallas metroplex since 1972 and now serves as President of the Center for Church Renewal and Pastor Emeritus of Fellowship Bible Church North in Plano, Texas.
Table of Contents
Introduction: "Who Leads the Church?"
Part I: Foundations
1. Flying in Formation: A Community Project
2. Our Frame of Reference
3. Discovering Supracultural Principles
Part 2: The Biblical Story
4. The Ekklesia of God (A.D. 33)
5. The Elders in Jerusalem (A.D. 45)
6. A Prayer and Healing Ministry (A.D. 45-47)
7. The First Church-Planting Mission (A.D. 47)
8. The Law-Grace Controversy (A.D. 49)
9. Character-Based Judgments (A.D. 49-50)
10. Respect and Esteem (A.D. 51)
11. The Ephesian Elders (A.D. 58)
12. Leadership Qualifications (A.D. 63)
13. Assistants to Elders/ Overseers: Deacons (A.D. 63)
14. A Woman's Role in Ministry (A.D.63)
15. The Household Model (A.D. 63)
16. Financial Support (A.D. 63)
17. Protection and Discipline (A.D. 63)
18. Shepherding God's Flock (A.D. 63)
19. A Doctrine of character (A.D. 65)
20. Marriage and Family Requirements (A.D. 63, 65)
21. Serving with Joy (A.D. 66-70)
Part 3: Scriptural Observations
22. Titles and an Overarching Function
23. Specific Leadership Functions
24. Selecting and Appointing Elders
25. Plurality in Leadership
26. The Need for a Primary Leader
27. Accountability, Delegation, and Forms
Part 4: Supracultural Principles and Practical Applications
28. Principles for Leadership Appointments (Part 1)
29. Principles for Leadership Appointments (Part 2)
30. Principles for Leadership Functions (Part 1)
31. Principles for Leadership Functions (Part 2)
32. Principles for Leadership Functions (Part 3)
33. Age Requirements
34. Leadership Selection
35. Board Size and Length of Service
36. More Form Questions
37. A Succession plan
What Our Readers Are Saying
Religion » Christianity » General
Religion » Christianity » Pastoral Ministry and Church Leadership
Religion » Comparative Religion » General
Religion » Western Religions » Ministry and Church Management