- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Contemporary Class Piano - With CD (7TH 11 Edition)by Elyse Mach
Synopses & ReviewsPlease note that used books may not include additional media (study guides, CDs, DVDs, solutions manuals, etc.) as described in the publisher comments.
Known for its richly diversified styles of repertoire and ensemble pieces and its abundance of creative materials, Contemporary Class Piano, Seventh Edition, includes the widest-ranging repertoire of solo and ensemble pieces available in any beginning piano text. Elyse Mach presents an abundant solo and ensemble repertoire--which includes classical pieces and folk, jazz, rock, pop, and blues tunes--providing ample opportunities for students to improvise, transpose, harmonize, and compose accompaniments.
FEATURES OF THE NEW EDITION
* Reorganized from six to ten units, the material is now more accessible for classroom use.
* Twenty diverse new reading, repertoire, and ensemble pieces introduce students to music of various styles and levels of difficulty.
* Unit 9 provides additional practice opportunities in interpreting chord symbols and harmonizing.
* More score reading examples in three- and four-part settings provide reinforcement of chorale style reading.
* Alto and tenor clef reading examples are introduced.
* Two new appendices offer more help: Appendix B features vocal and instrumental accompaniments to help students further develop skills, and Appendix E offers a timeline and historical overview of the style and characteristics of music from the Baroque period through the 21st century.
* Appendix A presents new material on transposing instruments.
* New CD and MIDI disk icons in the text indicate track numbers for ease of reference.
* "Practice Strategies" boxes give beginners helpful hints.
* A "Classic Miniatures" section of excerpts contains original keyboard pieces written by master composers.
* Worksheets appearing at the end of most chapters provide further practice opportunities.
* A new in-text audio CD for students, which includes orchestrations by renowned composers Phillip Keveren and Jason Nyberg, presents selected pieces at both practice tempo and performance tempo.
* A set of four MIDI disks--containing approximately 240 orchestration accompaniments prepared by composers Phillip Keveren and Jason Nyberg--motivates students to practice and complete their assignments more readily. This set is available free to adopters.
* The Instructor's Companion Website (www.oup.com/us/classpiano) will offer suggested lesson plans, teaching tips, and full track listings for the in-text CD and Instructor MIDI disks.
Highly acclaimed for its creative approach to beginning piano, Contemporary Class Piano presents materials in an engaging manner and in a logical progression of difficulty. Easily accessible to students with no prior music or keyboard experience, the book offers a well-rounded and abundant solo and ensemble repertoire--including classical pieces and folk, jazz, rock, pop, and blues tunes--with ample opportunities for students to improvise, transpose, harmonize, and compose accompaniments.
New to the Enhanced Edition:
* Incorporates thirty-five new reading, repertoire, and ensemble pieces in various styles and levels of difficulty
* Introduces a new "Classic Miniatures" section--featuring excerpts of original keyboard pieces written by master composers--that allows students to enjoy and play a broad mix of representative classical pieces early on in their keyboard study
* Adds six new melodies at the end of Unit 5 that give students more opportunities to practice interpreting chord symbols and harmonizing folk songs, symphonic themes, and other styles, using a variety of accompaniment patterns
* Each book is packaged with a free CD containing orchestration accompaniments to twenty-eight of the new pieces prepared by composer Jason Nyberg (in both practice and performance tempos) for students to use on their own.
* FREE TO INSTRUCTORS UPON ADOPTION: In addition toa set of four MIDI disks--which are packaged separately from the text and contain approximately 200 orchestration accompaniments prepared by renowned composer Phillip Keveren--a new MIDI disk with accompaniments for twenty-eight of the additional pieces in the enhanced edition has been created by composer James Nyberg for in-class use. These accompaniments motivate students to practice and complete their assignments more readily.
* A teacher's manual with suggested lesson plans and teaching tips for the first semester of study is available at www.oup.com/us/classpiano.
About the Author
Elyse Mach is Professor of Music at Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago. She has given concerts throughout Europe and the United States, appearing as a piano soloist with the NBC Symphony and the Netherlandische Philharmonic Broadcasting Orchestra, among others. She has written ten books on piano and pianists and has been a contributing music critic for the Chicago Sun-Times. She is active as a consultant, clinician, master class teacher, and frequent adjudicator, and has guest lectured at St. Catherine's College of Oxford University, Northwestern, Yale, The Juilliard School, and many other institutions. She is the first recipient of the Board of Governors Universities Distinguished Professor Award and was honored by a proclamation issued by the Senate and House of Representatives of the State of Illinois.
Professor Mach is the 2010 recipient of the Silver Medal presented by The American Liszt Society--the highest honor that the society bestows. She is also the 2010 recipient of the Bernard G. Brommel Distinguished Research Professor Award, Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago.
Table of Contents
*=New to this edition
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like