- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
Synopses & Reviews
This is the third edition of one of the breakthrough books in the field of library and information science. No other text before it, or since, has provided such relevant, timely, and practical techniques for online research.
Librarian's Guide to Online Searching, Third Edition explores the fundamentals of online searching, including database structure, searching tips, and plenty of exercises and questions for practice. This guide includes representative databases covering social sciences, science and medicine, bibliographic, humanities, and numerical data. The revised and updated edition of this popular work introduces information on new interfaces, includes updated screenshots, and features a new emphasis and new material on scholarly databases that are freely available on the Internet.
Librarians and students at every level of experience will benefit from proven strategies and tools for efficient online searching in this guide to commonly available subject databases and the principles of effective searching.
• Introduces the principles of effective searching
• Contains information drawn from on-the-job experience
• Provides advice on the reference interview and teaching others about databases
• Includes "beyond the textbook" exercises to expose students to even more resources
• Content is based on commonly available databases
• Sample exercises and questions to test searching skills are based on real-world problems
• A range of different vendor interfaces are covered
• A companion website offers multimedia demonstrations, updates, and a blog
What Our Readers Are Saying
Computers and Internet » Internet » Directories