- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Other titles in the Popular Science series:
The Extended Phenotype: The Long Reach of the Geneby Richard Dawkins
Synopses & Reviews
This is a revised edition with a new afterword by Daniel Dennett. The Extended Phenotype carries on from where The Selfish Gene takes off. It is a fascinating look at the evolution of life and natural selection. Dawkins's theory is that individual organisms are replicators that have extended phenotypic effects on society and the world at large, thus our genes have the ability to manipulate other individuals. A worldwide bestseller, this book has become a classic in popular science writing.
In this influential and controversial book that has become a classic in popular science writing, Dawkins furthers his fascinating look at the evolution of life and natural selection.
About the Author
About the Author:
Richard Dawkins is a Fellow of New College and Lecturer in Animal Behavior at Oxford University. He is the author of The Selfish Gene and The Blind Watchmaker.
Table of Contents
List of Contributors
1. Commercial Significance of Plants: History and Pointers to the Future
2. The Energy Content of Crops
3. Can In Vivo Photosynthesis Be Modified?
4. Energy Losses by Photorespiration
5. Energy Losses by the Plant in Rhizodeposition
6. Chemical Manipulation of Standing Crops
7. Chemical Extractives and Exudates from Trees
8. Bulk Chemicals from Plants Starch and Starch-Derived Products
9. Polysaccharide Synthesis: Implications for Industry
10. Gelling Agents
11. Fuel Oils from Higher Plants
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Science and Mathematics » Biology » Evolution
Science and Mathematics » Biology » Genetics
Science and Mathematics » History of Science » General
Science and Mathematics » Nature Studies » Evolution