- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian: A Textbook with Exercises and Basic Grammar [With CD (Audio)]by Ronelle Alexander
Synopses & Reviews
Three official languages have emerged in the Balkan region that was formerly Yugoslavia: Croatian in Croatia, Serbian in Serbia, and both of these languages plus Bosnian in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, a Textbook introduces the student to all three. Dialogues and exercises are presented in each language, shown side by side for easy comparison; in addition, Serbian is rendered in both its Latin and its Cyrillic spellings. Teachers may choose a single language to use in the classroom, or they may familiarize students with all three. This popular textbook is now revised and updated with current maps, discussion of a Montenegrin language, advice for self-study learners, an expanded glossary, and an appendix of verb types. It also features:
• All dialogues, exercises, and homework assignments available in Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian
• Classroom exercises designed for both small-group and full-class work, allowing for maximum oral participation
• Reading selections written by Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian authors especially for this book
• Vocabulary lists for each individual section and full glossaries at the end of the book
• A short animated film, on an accompanying DVD, for use with chapter 15
• Brief grammar explanations after each dialogue, with a cross-reference to more detailed grammar chapters in the companion book, Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, a Grammar.
Accompanying DVD entitled: "Penguin Charlie" = "Pingvin Charlie": to accompany lesson 15 of Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, a textbook.
About the Author
Ronelle Alexander is professor of Slavic languages and literatures at the University of California, Berkeley. She is author of the two-volume Intensive Bulgarian: A Textbook and Reference Grammar. Ellen Elias-Bursac is a language teacher and a literary translator. She taught BCS for ten years at Harvard University’s Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures and now lives in Europe.
What Our Readers Are Saying