- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Currently out of stock.
Other titles in the No-Nonsense Guides series:
The No-Nonsense Guide to Equality (No-Nonsense Guides)by Danny Dorling
Synopses & Reviews
In the five years since the first edition of Injustice there have been devastating increases in poverty, hunger, and destitution in the United Kingdom. Globally, the richest 1% have never held a greater share of world wealth, while the share of most of the other 99% has fallen in the last five years, with more and more people in debt, especially the young. Economic inequalities will persist and continue to grow for as long as we tolerate the injustices which underpin them.
This fully rewritten and updated edition revisits Dorling’s claim that Beveridge’s five social evils are being replaced by five new tenets of injustice: elitism is efficient; exclusion is necessary; prejudice is natural; greed is good; and despair is inevitable. By showing these beliefs are unfounded, Dorling offers hope of a more equal society.
We are living in the most remarkable and dangerous times. With every year that passes it is more evident that Injustice is essential reading for anyone who is concerned with social justice and wants to do something about it.
A wide-ranging exploration of why inequality persists and what can be done about it.
The No-Nonsense Guide to Equality discusses the positive effects that equality can have, using examples and case studies from across the globe, including many from the United States. It examines the lessons of history and covers race, gender and ethnicity, age, and wealth. Danny Dorling considers, realistically, just how equal it is possible to be, the challenges we face, and the factors that will lead to greater equality for all.
Danny Dorling is professor of human geography at the University of Sheffield, United Kingdom, and one of the leading international experts on inequality. He has written extensively about the widening gap between rich and poor and his work regularly appears in the Guardian. He is author of several books, including Injustice: Why Social Inequality Persists and The Atlas of the Real World.
About the Author
Danny Dorling: Danny Dorling is professor of human geography at the University of Sheffield. He has written extensively about the widening gap between rich and poor and how work regularly appears in the Guardian, UK. He is author of several books including 'Injustice: Why social inequality persists' and 'The Atlas of the Real World'.
Table of Contents
Letter from America: commentary by Sam Pizzigati
Foreword by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett
The beliefs that uphold injustice
The five faces of social inequality
A pocket full of posies
2. Inequality: the antecedent and outcome and of injustice
Inevitability of change: what we do now we could all have enough?
Injustice rising out of the ashes of social evils
So where do we go from here
3. 'Elitism is efficient': new educational divisions
The ‘new delinquents: those most harmed by elitism, a seventh of all children
IQism: the underlying rationale for the growth of elitism
Apartheid schooling: from garaging to hot-housing
Putting on a pedestal: superhuman myths
The 1950s: from ignorance to arrogance
4. 'Exclusion is necessary': excluding people from society
Indebted: those most harmed by exclusion, a sixth of all people
Geneticism: the theories that exacerbate social exclusion
Segregation: of community from community
Escapism: of the rich behind walls
The 1960s: the turning point from inclusion to exclusion
5. 'Prejudice is natural': a wider racism
Indenture: labour for miserable reward, a fifth of all adults
Darwinism: thinking that different incentives are needed
Polarisation: of the economic performance of regions
Inheritance: the mechanism of prejudice
The 1970s: the new racism
6. 'Greed is good': consumption and waste
Not part of the programme: just getting by, a quarter of all households
Economics: the discipline with so much to answer for
Gulfs: between our lives and our worlds
Celebrity: celebrated as a model of success
The 1980s: changing the rules of trade
7. ‘Despair is inevitable: health and wellbeing
Anxiety: made ill through the way we live, a third of all families
Competition: proposing insecurity as beneficial
Culture: the international gaps in societal wellbeing
Bird-brained thinking: putting profit above caring
The 1990s: birth of mass medicating
8. Conspiracy, consensus, conclusion.
No great conspiracy
Using the vote
Coming to the end
What to do
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Featured Titles » History and Social Science