- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Patternmaking for Fashion Design - With DVD (5TH 10 Edition)by Helen Joseph Armstrong
Synopses & Reviews
Renowned for its comprehensive coverage, exceptional illustrations, and clear instructions, Patternmaking for Fashion Design offers detailed yet easy-to-understand explanations of the essence of patternmaking. Hinging on a recurring theme that all designs are based on one or more of the three major patternmaking and design principles–dart manipulation, added fullness, and contouring–it provides students with all the relevant information necessary to create design patterns with accuracy regardless of their complexity. Some innovative, new information in this book include:
Updated with modern, cutting-edge sketches and designs.
Ribbing added to the knit section of Chapter 27.
More materials on children's wear and swim wear.
Advanced design projects
A practical introduction to patternmaking
Complete coverage of the three steps of design patterns: dart manipulation, added fullness, and contouring.
Table of Contents
1. The Workroom.
2. The Model Form and Measurements.
3. Drafting the Basic Pattern Set.
4. Dart Manipulation. (Principle #1)
5. Designing with Darts (Tuck-Darts, Pleats, Flare and Gathers)
7. Added Fullness (Principle #2).
8. Yokes, Flanges, Pin-Tucks, and Pleat Tucks.
9. Contouring (Principle #3).
11. Built-up Necklines.
13. Skirts/Circles and Cascades.
15. Kimono, Raglan, Drop Shoulder, Exaggerated Armholes.
16. Buttons, Buttonholes, and Facings.
17. Plackets and Pockets.
18. Dresses without Wasteline Seams (Based on Torso Foundation).
19. Strapless Foundations and Interconstruction.
20. Patternmaking for Bias-Cut Dresses.
22. Jackets and Coats.
23. Capes and Hoods.
24. Knock-Off-Copying Ready-Made Designs.
26. Knits—Stretch and Shrinkage Factors.
27. Actionwear for Dance and Exercise.
29. Introduction to Childrenswear.
30. Drafting the Basic Pattern Set: Measurement Taking, Standard Measurement Charts.
31. Collars, Sleeves, and Skirts.
32. Dresses and Jumpers.
34. Pants and Jumpsuits.
35. Bodysuits, Leotards, Mailott, and Swimwear.
What Our Readers Are Saying