- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Compact Disc
Currently out of stock.
Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buyby Martin Lindstrom
Synopses & Reviews
Foreword by Morgan Spurlock
From the bestselling author of Buyology comes a shocking insider’s look at how today’s global giants conspire to obscure the truth and manipulate our minds, all in service of persuading us to buy.
Marketing visionary Martin Lindstrom has been on the front lines of the branding wars for over twenty years. Here, he turns the spotlight on his own industry, drawing on all he has witnessed behind closed doors, exposing for the first time the full extent of the psychological tricks and traps that companies devise to win our hard-earned dollars.
Picking up from where Vance Packard's bestselling classic, The Hidden Persuaders, left off more than half-a-century ago, Lindstrom reveals:
• New findings that reveal how advertisers and marketers intentionally target children at an alarmingly young age – starting when they are still in the womb!
• Shocking results of an fMRI study which uncovered what heterosexual men really think about when they see sexually provocative advertising (hint: it isn’t their girlfriends).
• How marketers and retailers stoke the flames of public panic and capitalize on paranoia over global contagions, extreme weather events, and food contamination scares.
• The first ever neuroscientific evidence proving how addicted we all are to our iPhones and our Blackberry’s (and the shocking reality of cell phone addiction - it can be harder to shake than addictions to drugs and alcohol).
• How companies of all stripes are secretly mining our digital footprints to uncover some of the most intimate details of our private lives, then using that information to target us with ads and offers ‘perfectly tailored’ to our psychological profiles.
• How certain companies, like the maker of one popular lip balm, purposely adjust their formulas in order to make their products chemically addictive.
• What a 3-month long guerilla marketing experiment, conducted specifically for this book, tells us about the most powerful hidden persuader of them all.
• And much, much more.
This searing expose introduces a new class of tricks, techniques, and seductions – the Hidden Persuaders of the 21st century- and shows why they are more insidious and pervasive than ever.
From the Hardcover edition.
"Even the savviest consumer is susceptible to the often invisible influences of marketing tactics. Brand outreach is so expansive that companies attempt to influence children in utero by exposing mothers to certain odors and jingles. In other words, fetuses are being prepped for brand loyalty before they can even open their mouths and cry. Lindstrom has more than 20 years of corporate marketing expertise, so Brandwashed is filled with fascinating anecdotes and corporate tactics that are at once brilliant and creepy. Dan Woren's narration is well paced, authoritative, and soothing. This style works during the book's more didactic passages. But the author's prose also contains dry humor that doesn't come across via Woren's staid reading. While this audio production is slick and professional, it also feels a little lifeless. A Crown Business hardcover. (Sept.)" Publishers Weekly Copyright PWxyz, LLC. All rights reserved.
About the Author
MARTIN LINDSTROM, was voted one of the World's 100 Most Influential people of 2009 by Time magazine. Among the globe's foremost marketers - now turned consumer advocate - Lindstrom has advised top executives at companies such as McDonald's Corporation, Procter & Gamble, and Microsoft. His most recent book, Buyology, was a New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller and voted "Pick of the Year" by USA Today. He is also chairman and co-founder of Buyology Inc
From the Hardcover edition.
What Our Readers Are Saying