- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Other titles in the Greenwood Icons series:
Icons of Women's Sport [2 Volumes] (Greenwood Icons)by Kelly Boyer Sagert
Synopses & Reviews
Icons of Women's Sport identifies and examines the individuals who have impacted history, challenged the status quo, influenced sport culture, and garnered wide public interest. Including stars from the past and present, ranging from Babe Didrikson Zaharias and Billie Jean King to Dara Torres and Venus and Serena Williams, the featured athletes are iconic not only because of their achievements in the sports arena, but also because of their contributions to society: advancing cultural diversity and gender equity, breaking class barriers, and transcending stereotypes.
The book contains biographies of 36 women athletes—American and international—who excelled in competitive sports from the post-World War I era through the modern era in a dozen different sports. Icons of Women's Sport spotlights athletes across a wide range of women's sports, with appropriate attention given to the major sports. Readers will enjoy learning about stars from both amateur and professional sports arenas, including Olympic athletes, as well as female competitors who have reached the top of their game in newer arenas such as golf and snowboarding.
Book News Annotation:
The publisher's "Icons" references focus on outstanding individuals of wide public interest. Aimed at a general audience and accessible to students high school level and older (and, perhaps, younger), this two-volume set contains very thorough biographies of 36 women athletes--American and international, living and deceased. The essays discuss early life, career, obstacles, and contributions. An introductory essay surveys the history of women in sports, and a chronology identifies significant "firsts" from 1884 to 2005. Overman is affiliated with the U. of Central Oklahoma; Sagert is a freelance writer and author. Annotation ©2012 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
This collection of fascinating biographies of outstanding women athletes past and present including superstars such as Nadia Comaneci, Mia Hamm, Jackie-Joyner Kersee, Danica Patrick, and Serena and Venus Williams.
• Provides an introductory essay that documents the larger cultural impact and historical role that women have played in sports and through sports
• Highlights a wide range of athletes hailing from poor and rich families, diverse ethnic backgrounds, some with supportive families, some with unsupportive families, etc
• Includes a revealing and inspirational interview with Cara-Beth Burnside, gold medal winner in both the summer and winter X-Games
• Examines how becoming a female athlete in the United States is relatively easy compared with dictatorial countries, and in contrast with how difficult it was in the past due to enduring prejudices, political issues, and financial reasons
• Photographs of accomplished female athletes
• A chronology helps readers put entries in context
• A bibliography provides suggestions for further reading
What Our Readers Are Saying
Biography » General