- Used Books
- Kobo eReading
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
This item may be
Check for Availability
When Life Becomes Precious: The Essential Guide for Patients, Loved Ones, and Friends of Those Facing Seriou S Illnessesby Elise Babcock
Synopses & Reviews
When you hear that someone you love has cancer...
You want to be as supportive as possible. But how?
Elise NeeDell Babcock has devoted her life to answering this question and now putsher twenty-three years of experience as a counselor into this immensely useful guide. When Life Becomes Precious contains hundreds of tips for helping patients, primary caregivers, co-workers, and familymembers, including:
What to say (and not to say) to someone when you first find out they have cancer
- How to be supportive without being intrusive
- How to build awinning health-care team
- How to handle holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries
- How to explain the disease to children
- Which gifts and gestures can do the mostgood
From techniques for handling anger and anxiety, to uplifting success stories, to a comprehensive resource section, here is the information and inspiration you need to help those you love and tomake each day--each moment--more precious.
"When Life Becomes Precious" will be the first book to:
- Offer tips on ways to help patients, caregivers andco-workers
- Provide a long and diverse list of gifts that are appropriate to give to families that are living with cancer
- Offers reasons why fear makes people shy away fromdiscussing cancer and techniques on how to overcome that fear
- Present the things that families do that doctors like and dislike
"When Life Becomes Precious" willteach readers to assess and put into perspective, their own feelings about the disease so that they can truly help those who are afflicted with it. The use of cartoons, anecdotes and personal stories will set an upbeat andpositive tone. Readers will come away fully prepared to deal with the realities of cancer.
"From the Trade Paperback edition."
What Our Readers Are Saying