- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
A Religion of Peace?: Why Christianity Is and Islam Isn'tby Robert Spencer
Synopses & Reviews
Christianity or Islam: which is the real "religion of peace"?
Almost any liberal pundit will tell you that there's a religion bent on destroying our Constitution, stripping us of our liberties, and imposing religious rule on the U.S. And that religion is . . .Christianity! About Islam, however, the Left is silent--except to claim a moral equivalence between the two: if Islam has terrorists today, that's nothing compared to the Crusades, inquisitions, and religious wars in Christianity's past.
But is this true? Are conservative Christians really more of a threat to free societies than Islamic jihadists? Is the Bible really "just as violent" as the Qur'an? Is Christianity's history really as bloodstained as Islam's? In Religion of Peace? Why Christianity Is and Islam Isn't, New York Times bestselling author Robert Spencer not only refutes such charges, but also explains why Americans and Europeans must regain an appreciation of our Christian heritage if we ever hope to defeat Islamic supremacism. In this eye opening work, Spencer reveals:
* The fundamental differences between Islamic and Christian teachings about warfare against other religions: "Love your enemies" vs. "Be ruthless to the unbelievers"
* The myth of Western immorality and Islamic puritanism and why the Islamic world is less moral than the West
* Why the Islamic world has never developed the distinction between religious and secular law that is inherent in Christianity
* Why Christianity has always embraced reason--and Islam has always rejected it
* Why the most determined enemies of Western civilization may not be the jihadists at all, but the leftists who fear their churchgoing neighbors more than Islamic terrorists
* Why Jews, Christians, and peoples of other faiths (or no faith) are equally at risk from militant Islam
Spencer writes not to proselytize, but to state a fact: Christianity is a true "religion of peace," and on it Western civilization stands. If we are not to perish under Islam's religion of the sword--with its more than 100 million active jihadists seeking to impose sharia law--we had better defend our own civilization.
Argues that Christianity is more peaceful, moral, reasonable, and tolerant of other religions than Islam and that the western world must regain an appreciation of its Christian roots in order to stand firm against the threat of Islamic jihadists.
About the Author
Robert Spencer is the director of Jihad Watch, a program of the David Horowitz Freedom Center, and author of the New York Times bestsellers The Truth about Muhammad and The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades), as well as four other critically acclaimed books on Islam and terrorism, including Islam Unveiled and Onward Muslim Soldiers. He has also written eight monographs and hundreds of articles. Spencer lives in a secure, undisclosed location.
Table of Contents
No, Virginia, all religions aren't equal — Wars of religion — We have met the enemy and he is... — The real threat — Cherry-picking in the fields of the Lord — The cross and the sword — Christian anti-Semitism vs. Islamic "apes and pigs" — The West calls for dialogue; Islam calls for Jihad — Faith and unreason — Democracy, whiskey, sexy — Women in the West vs. burkas and beatings — Yes, Virginia, Western civilization is worth defending.
What Our Readers Are Saying