- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
This title in other editions
Other titles in the myeducationlab series:
Methods for Teaching: Promoting Student Learning in K-12 Classrooms (with Myeducationlab [With Myeducationlab] (Myeducationlab)
Synopses & Reviews
This book is dedicated to providing the practical tools you need to effectively plan, implement, and assess in your learner-centered classroom. Packed with application exercises, each chapter offers numerous opportunities to apply what you’re learning and to reflect on the progress you are making toward your professional competence. The book’s friendly writing style presents you with a valuable resource that will outlive its use in college coursework by offering tips, strategies, and resources that can easily be put to use in your own classroom.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
In addition to the contemporary references and updated research on teacher effectiveness throughout the text, the eighth edition includes significant additions.
• Discussion on national and state standards, and their impact on the three phase model of teaching, has been added and expanded.
• Focus on teaching strategies in the classroom has been increased throughout the text.
• The new chapter on Standards and the Goals of Instruction (Chapter 4) establishes the relationship between sources of goals, the taxonomy of education, and content in the cognitive domain.
• Applying in the Classroom feature presents a case study and follow-up questions that serve as advanced organizers for the content of the chapter.
• Video Classroom Exercise feature links to on-line videos with follow-up questions and feedback.
• Glossary defines the text’s key concepts.
• Tools for Teaching provides selected and annotated sources for print references and websites.
• A Video Classroom Exercise feature and MyEducationLab present you with on-line videos and follow-up questions with feedback. MyEducationLab is a research-based learning tool that brings teaching to life. Watch authentic video footage and
see real teachers in action. Read about case studies to learn about the realities of teaching as well as the valuable perspectives on common issues and challenges in education today. Additionally, view and analyze over 200 student and teacher classroom artifacts tied to course topics and framed by learning goals. In your textbook look for the MyEducationLab logo in the Video Classroom Exercise features throughout the text and follow the simple access instructions. For more information turn to the MyEducationLab portion of the preface or go to www.myeducationlab.com.
To order this book WITHOUT MyEducationLab use this
Planning. Implementing. Assessing. The act of teaching is founded on these three principles. It is the process of doing these three things well that makes for good teaching. The goal of this book is to provide the tools that will enable preservice and inservice teachers to plan, implement, and assess effectively in this era of standards and accountability.
This general methods text covers teaching in a practical fashion, while providing complete and concise coverage. The book is organized into four units. Each chapter is organized with the following pedagogical features: an introduction, learning objectives, an Applying in the Classroom case study and questions, a Reflecting On feature (which ties the content of the chapter to the INTASC standards,) a summary, Preparing for Your Licensure Examination feature, Video Classroom Exercise, Developing Your Portfolio, Questions for Discussion, Suggestions for Field Experience, and Tools for Teaching, and key concepts.
The text is designed to be interactive. It emphasizes case studies and real-life classroom scenarios. This book provides students with the resources they need to master the material and become not just competent, but a good and effective teacher.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: A Model for Teaching
UNIT ONE: MANAGING CLASSROOMS FOR EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTION
2. Classroom Management: Prevention
3. Classroom Management: Interventions
UNIT TWO: STANDARDS AND PLANNING FOR INSTRUCTION
4. Standards and the Goals of Instruction
5. Formulating Goals and Objectives Using Standards
6. Planning for Assessment with Standards
UNIT THREE: STANDARDS AND IMPLEMENTING INSTRUCTION
7. Questioning Strategies in an Era of Standards and Accountability
8. Meeting Standards Through Teacher-Centered Instructional Strategies
9. Meeting Standards Through Student-Centered Strategies
10. Building on Learner Differences: Instructional Strategies
UNIT FOUR: STANDARDS AND ASSESSING INSTRUCTION
11. Assessing Learning in an Era of Standards and Accountability
What Our Readers Are Saying