- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
This title in other editions
Global Tilt: Leading Your Business Through the Great Economic Power Shiftby Ram Charan
Synopses & Reviews
The world’s economic center of gravity has shifted. Permanently. Do you know what it now takes to succeed?
The global tilt is nothing less than an irreversible shift of economic power—jobs, wealth, and market opportunities—from a small part of the world to its entirety. It is improving the lives of millions of people around the world, and while it is creating immense opportunities, it is disrupting the world as you know it with dizzying speed.
If you’re an American or European, any assumptions you may have about national and managerial superiority are obsolete. Businesses in China, Singapore, India, Brazil, Malaysia, and other countries on the move have ready access to the capital and expertise they need to grow. Their leaders have just as much knowledge, talent, and drive as you do. And they are unleashing their entrepreneurial verve to scale up fast and grab once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.
These businesses will soon be competing with yours everywhere on the planet, even if you’re not aware of them yet. Finding opportunities of your own requires you to consider vastly different perspectives and to see the new global landscape in its entirety and then change the content of your work to pursue them.
In Global Tilt, New York Times bestselling author Ram Charan gives business leaders the guidance they need to succeed in a tilted world, including:
- Gaining an edge by cutting through the complexity of demographics, different forms of government, and even the global financial system, to identify “unstoppable trends” better and sooner than others
- Challenging your reliance on core competence and the incremental improvement that results. Instead, look “outside-in” and “future-back,” determine the capabilities you need to build, and muster the psychological fortitude to make occasional strategic bets that can potentially alter the competitive landscape
- Developing the soft skills crucial to leading a global organization, including mastering local contexts
- Equipping the organization to win by facing up to painful but necessary shifts in people assignments, decision-making authority, and resource allocation—even before making structural changes
Those who can pursue the opportunities in a tilted world have a remarkably bright future. Ram Charan’s unparalleled experience with global leaders and companies and the unique and powerful insights he brings to this book will light the way for you and your exciting journey.
"Charan (Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done) delivers an informative primer on the consequences of the global economic center's swing from North to South and patiently describes what companies need to do to be successful in this new paradigm. He succinctly outlines the changing landscape as businesses, wealth, and jobs move to developing international strongholds like India, China, and Brazil, from waning powers in Europe, Japan, and the US. Charan's lessons are simple and straightforward: 'Only bold and ambitious thinkers will ,' and he includes examples of why it's necessary for business leaders to unlearn outdated lessons, focus 'from the outside in', and establish a 'future back' perspective. Additionally, he recommends questions for businesses to consider as they plan their future strategies and provides a few case studies of pioneering companies who are doing things right. With all the old lessons thrown out the window, some new and strange business partnerships are sure to emerge, and Charan highlights a couple of those, too. This is necessary reading for anyone charged with strategic planning or investing in emerging markets; for the rest of us, it's fascinating information to absorb and a window onto our economic future. (Feb.)" Publishers Weekly (Starred Review) Copyright PWxyz, LLC. All rights reserved.
The greatest change in business history is happening right now. What are you going to do about it?
the tilt (tilt):
1. The shift in business and economic power from countries of the north to the fast-developing markets and economies of the south – not only China, India and Brazil but also the Middle East and parts of Africa. 2. The result of unstoppable forces, including the volatile global financial system, digitization, the rise of state capitalism and a new global middle class that is both youthful and urban—forces by which industries and economies rapidly emerge and change the global playing field. 3. A call to abandon old assumptions and rules of thumb about the North and South, and the opening of mega-opportunities for leaders who learn to see the world not just from the vantage point of New York but also from that of Beijing, Mumbai, Singapore, and Sao Paulo.
Ram Charan has spent more time anyone else on the ground observing and analyzing the the tilt. Here he gives business leaders the tools to detect trends that cut across not just industries but also countries, rethink the economic and business principles they rely on, and adapt to the speed of innovation and unprecedented needs of the new global economy. With The Tilt, he provides the essential, practical playbook for strategizing and succeeding in a tilted world.
About the Author
Ram Charan is a highly sought-after business advisor famous among executives for his uncanny ability to solve their toughest business problems. He is the co-author of the number one New York Times best seller, Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done and the author of What the CEO Wants You to Know. Dr. Charan's articles have been published in Fortune, Harvard Business Review and Strategy+Business.
What Our Readers Are Saying