- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
This item may be
Check for Availability
Other titles in the Arnold Publication series:
Textbook of Adolescent Psychiatry (Arnold Publication)
Synopses & Reviews
Adolescent Psychiatry is the first text-reference to provide such in-depth, comprehensive, and practical coverage of this specialist area. There are many questions pertinent to adolescence alone and these are highlighted throughout the book. Starting with the important aspects of normal development, the reader is then taken on to risk-behaviour and risk-taking, the special issues in adolescent psychiatry, how to assess the patient, clinical conditions, treatment, and finally the forensic and legal aspects of adolescent care and treatment.
The authoritative editor group has brought together a high calibre team of contributors to produce the ultimate text, both for accessible clinical reference, and as a teaching tool.
This book will prove invaluable to all general psychiatrists in dealing with their adolescent patients, to specialist child and adolescent psychiatrists, and all those involved in the care and treatment of adolescents with mental health problems.
Table of Contents
Section One: Special Issues in Adolescent Psychiatry, edited by Robert Weinstock, M.D.
1. The Emergence of the Adolescent Patient, Vivian M. Rakoff, M.D.
2. Ethical Issues in Adolescent Psychiatry, Robert Weinstock, M.D., Gregory B. Leong, M.D. and J. Arturo Silva, M.D.
3. Ethics in Managed Care in Adolescent Psychiatry, Jeremy A. Lazarus, M.D.
4. Research in Adolescent Psychiatry, Daniel Offer, M.D. and C. Stoller
5. Cultural Influences on Adolescent Development and Treatment, J. Arturo Silva, M.D., Gregory B. Leong, M.D. and Robert Weinstock, M.D.
6. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in Adolescents, Mohan Nair, M.D.
7. Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry with Adolescents, Everett P. Dulit, M.D.
8. Principles of Adolescent Medicine for Psychiatrists, Martin M. Anderson and R. Morris
9. The History of Adolescent Psychiatry in the United States, Bertram Slaff, M.D.
10. Adolescent Psychiatry as a Psychiatric Subspecialty, Sidney Weissman , M.D., Sharon Weissman and K. Weissman
11. Education and Training in Adolescent Psychiatry, Richard Rosner, M.D.
Section Two: Risk-Behavior, Risk-Taking, and Sexuality, edited by Lynn E. Ponton, M.D.
12. Normal Sexual Development, A.Yates, M.D
13. Adolescent Risk-Taking and Risk Behavior, Lynn E. Ponton, M.D. and Ralph J. DiClemente, Ph.D.
14. Alcohol and Substance Abuse Among Adolescents: Prevention and Intervention, D. Paoletti, K. E. Stewart, Ralph J. DiClemente, Ph.D.
15. Adolescent Violence: Implications for Intervention, Arlene Rubin Stiffman, Ph.D., Jennifer Abeloff, M.S.W., Esther Kaggwa, M.S.W., Donaold Meissner, M.S.W., Michael Regier, M.S.W., and Catherine Winn, M.S.W.
16. The Effects of Sexual Abuse on Adolescent Development and Adaptation, Graeme Hanson, M.D.
17. Pregnancy and Parenthood During Adolescence, Larry K. Brown, M.D. and Kevin J. Lourie, Ph.D.
18. High-Risk Sexual Behavior Associated with Sexually Transmitted Disease and Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infections among Adolescents, Ralph J. DiClemente, Ph.D.
19. Adolescent Homosexuality, William M. Womack, M.D.
Section Three: Normal Development, edited by Donald Swanson, M.D.
Introduction, Donald Swanson
20. Socio-Cultural Issues in Adolescent Development, Ian Canino, M.D. and Nilda Gonzalez, M.D.
21. Cognitive Development, Humberto Quintana, M.D.
22. Moral Development, Roy Lubit and Stephen Billick, M.D.
23. Adolescent Interpersonal Relationships, Christopher J. Kratochvil, M.D. and Martin J. Harrington, M.D.
Section Four: Assessment, edited by Gary J. Gosselin, M.D.
Introduction, Gary J. Gosselin, M.D.
24. The Clinical Interview of the Adolescent, Gary J. Gosselin, M.D. and Yiu Kee Ng, M.D.
25. Family Assessment, Richard Oberfield, M.D.
26. Psychosocial Assessment, Gary J. Gosselin, M.D. and Yiu Kee Ng., M.D.
27. Medical Assessment, Elizabeth Kay Spencer, M.D.
28. Biological Assessment, Brian J. Klee, M.D.
29. Psychological Assessment, Allan S. Elliot, Ph.D. and Enrique Gular, Ph.D.
30. Cultural Assessment, Phill V. Halamandaris, M.D. and Tanya R Anderson, M.D.
31. Educational Assessment, Edward A. Mainzer, M.A., M.S. Ed., Ed.D.
32. Assessment and Treatment Planning, Glenn S. Hirsch, M.D. and Richard Gallagher, Ph.D.
Section Five: Clinical Conditions - Psychiatric Disorders in Childhood, Adolescence and Young Adulthood, edited by Richard M. Sarles, M.D.
33. Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders, Harinder Singh Ghuman, M.D. and Jaswinder Kaur Ghuman, M.D.
34. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Tourette's Syndrome in Children and Adolescents, Mai Karitani, Kenneth C. Rickler, M.D., Douglas A. Beer M.D., Susan E. Swedo, M.D. and Henrietta L. Leonard, M.D.
35. Anxiety Disorders and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Mohammad Haerian, M.D., Dr Gloria Reeves, M.D., and Sushmi Jani, M.D.
36. Mood Disorders and Suicide in Children and Adolescents, Paramjit T. Joshi, M.D. and Jay Salpekar, M.D.
37. Eating Disorder and Disordered Eating, Lynn E. Ponton, M.D.
38. Personality Disorder in Adolescence, Glen Pearson, Jr., M.D.
39. Disruptive Behavior Disorders, Robert L. Hendren, D.O. and David Mullen, M.D.
40. Adolescent Substance Abuse Robert L. Hendren, D.O.and Marsha Bates, Ph.D.
41. Psychotic Disorders, Lois T. Flaherty, M.D.
Section Six: Psychiatric Treatment, edited by Michael G. Kalogerakis, M.D.
Introduction, Michael G. Kalogerakis, M.D
42. Forming a Therapeutic Alliance with Teenagers, Baroness Ghislaine D. Godenne, M.D.
43. Cognitive Behavior Therapy with Adolescents, David B. Wexler, Ph.D.
44. Psychoanalytically-Informed Psychotherapy for Adolescents, Shelley Doctors, Ph.D.
45. Psychopharmacology, Glen Elliott, Ph.D., M.D.
46. Family Therapy, Richard A. Oberfield, M.D.
47. Group Therapy, Paul Kymissis, M.D.
48. Adolescent Inpatient and Other Milieu Treatments, Alan Ravitz, M.D.
49. Community-Based Treatment, Harinder S. Ghuman, M.D., Lance D. Clawson, M.D. and Mark D. Weist, Ph.D.
50 c Multimodal Dynamic Psychotherapy And The Adolescent's World, Michael Kalogerakis, M.D..
Section Seven: Adolescent Psychiatry and the Law, edited by Richard A. Ratner, M.D.
51. Introduction, Richard A. Ratner, M.D.
I. Legal aspects of Mental Health Treatment
52. Legal Issues in Inpatient and Outpatient Psychiatric Treatment, Abigail English, J.D.
53. Custody, Visitation and Relocation Issues in Adolescence, Alex Weintrob, M.D. and Sandra G. Nye, J.D., M.S.W.
II. Mental Health in Legal Settings
54. Delinquency and Status Offenders, Wade Myers, M.D.
55. The Psychiatrist in the Juvenile Justice System: Evaluation, Richard A. Ratner, M.D.
56. Treatment of Juvenile Offenders, Lee Haller, M.D.
Special Problems in Delinquency Assessment and Treatment
57. Treating Adolescent Offenders: Special Populations: Substance Abusers, Steven L. Jaffe, M.D.
58. Violence Assessment in Juvenile Deliquency, Rusty Reeves, M.D.
59. Treatment of Adolescent Sexual Offenders, Roy O'Shaughnessey, M.D.
60. Juveniles and the Adult Criminal Justice System, Carl P. Malmquist, M.D.
61. Juveniles and The Death Penalty, Richard A. Ratner, M.D.
62. The Handling of Abuse and Neglect Cases, Kathi L. Grasso, J.D.
What Our Readers Are Saying