- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
A Glaze of Color
Synopses & Reviews
The development of paint-your-own ceramics studios, at which ready-made bisqueware and studio time for decorating it are sold, has made pottery decoration accessible to a wider public than ever before. Ceramics artist Jane Davies demonstrates how to decorate the surface of ready-made bisqueware and tiles using commercially produced decorating colors known as underglazes and other materials to create beautifully colored pieces. Practical step-by-step demonstrations of a variety of application methods-including brushing, shading, sponging, masking, sgrafitto, spattering, stamping, stenciling, marbling, majolica, and underglaze pencils-provide inspiration for decorating tiles, plates, cups, bowls, lamps, vases, and decorative platters. Davies also explores the creative possibilities of colored glazes, as well as decorating pieces after firing with acrylic paint and paper collage.
• All of the techniques discussed are applicable to ready-made bisqueware, as well as wheel-thrown or hand-built ceramics
• Explains the entire glazing process, from color and design to kilns and firing
• Demonstrates a wide variety of techniques for applying underglaze as well as information on colored glazes and post-firing techniques
• Beautiful color photograph throughout
• There are over 1,000 paint-your-own ceramic studios in the US
Ceramics artist Jane Davies demonstrates how to decorate the surface of ready-made bisqueware and tiles using commercially produced decorating colors known as underglazes. Step-by-step directions for brushing, shading, sponging, stamping, stenciling, and more are provided. 200 color photos.
About the Author
Jane Davies sells her work at regional and national craft and gift shows, and licenses her designs to manufacturers of tableware and other products, including Susan Sargent Designs. She lives in Rupert, VT. John Polak is a commercial, wedding, and portrait photographer based in Chicopee, MA.
What Our Readers Are Saying