- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
The Diabetic Chef: More Than 80 Simple But Spectacular Recipes from One of New York City's Topchefs
Synopses & Reviews
After graduating from the Culinary Institute of America, Franklin Becker was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Rather than despair, he transformed his cooking style. Now, having served as executive chef at several of New York City’s premier restaurants, Becker has learned to use simple ingreadients to create dazzling dishes that are healthy and flavorful. The Diabetic Chef is both an outstanding cookbook and a practical guide to food shopping and preparation. Inside you’ll discover
• mouthwatering recipes, including Poached Filet Mignon with Asian Vegetables and Egg Noodles, Sautéed Spinach with Leeks and Feta, Sea Scallops with Mushroom Tortellini, Chicken Paillard with Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa and Quinoa Pilaf, and Warm Baked Apple with Golden Raisins and Walnuts
• the diabetic’s rules: what, when, and how to eat for optimal health
• advice on equipping your kitchen: the knives, gadgets, pots, and pans that will simplify your cooking life
• the pantry basics: herbs, spices, oils, vinegars, starchless pastas, and special ingredients that make a dish unique and memorable
• shopping hints: how and where (including online) to shop, what to look for, and what to avoid.
Packed with recipes that meet the nutritional requirements of diabetics and the discerning taste of the gourmet, this cookbook is a treasure not just for diabetics but for anyone who wants to turn great food into a healthy meal.
In this outstanding cookbook and practical guide to food shopping and preparation for diabetics, master chef and Type II diabetic Becker promises to both please the palate and improve one's health.
About the Author
FRANKLIN BECKER has worked as executive chef at several of New York City’s premier restaurants, including Trinity Capitale, Cucina, and Local. He was also private chef for Revlon magnate Ronald Perelman. Becker’s New American style of cooking has been praised by The New York Times and New York magazine. He lives in New York City.
Suzanne Rostler, Masters of Science, Registered Dietician, is a nutritionist and contributing health writer to books and magazines. She currently leads the pediatric and adolescent weight management program at Storch Nutritional Medicine in Florham Park, New Jersey. She lives in South Orange, New Jersey.
What Our Readers Are Saying