- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Other titles in the IBM Press series:
AS/400: System, Utilities, Database, and Programmingby George Lin
Synopses & Reviews
The end-to-end AS/400 guidebook-now completely updated!
Many new topics that reflect the latest AS/400 technologies have been added to the second edition:
This is your best single source for all the AS/400 information you need.
This book is distinct in its breath, completeness, depth, and ease of use.
Topics of this book are organized into six parts:
Step-by-Step instructions guide you through AS/400.
Tutorials and lab exercises engage readers in hands-on activities using various AS/400 utilities, database, CL commands, TCP/IP network configuration and setup, SAP, Java and other programming languages.
Margin notes provide shortcuts, concise instructions, underlined points, and summaries.
A special session leads readers through developing application projects using DB2/400, DDS, SEU, PDM, DFU, SDA, Query/400, RPG and CL commands.
Provides helpful tips and techniques which cannot be found in manuals.
Uses examples, screen images, charts, and graphics to maximize readers' learning experience.
For both novice and experienced information systems professionals.
"Distinct for its completeness, comprehensive approach, and ease of use. It is really well written... I have seen no book with the breath of this one so it appears to be unique" Harvey Hindin, Vice President, Emerging Technologies Group, Inc.
"Very easy to understand for someone with a computing background, and doesn't overwhelm the novice... The coverage of the subject is excellent." Stan Fellers, Information Systems Manager, Young Sales Corp.
Book News Annotation:
This reference and guidebook to AS/400 technology covers the system, utilities, database, programming, client/server, networking, the Internet, and projects. Step-by-step instructions are provided throughout, with tutorials and lab exercises and a special session leading readers through the development of application projects using DB2/400, DDS, SEU, PDM, DFU, SDA, Query/400, RPG, and CL commands.
Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
This book is your best single source for all the AS/400 information you need. It is distinct in its breadth, completeness, depth, and ease of use. It includes topics that reflect the latest AS/400 technologies including Java on the AS/400, Client/Server, TCP/IP network, Internet and Web with the AS/400, JTTP server, Groupware, Lotus Notes, and Domino for AS/400, Sap on the AS/400, ILE, AS/400e series, and using Client Access.
About the Author
George Lin is President of Oxford International, Inc.
Gayla Stewart is a Professor at St. Louis Community College.
Table of Contents
(NOTE: Most chapters end with Review Questions and Lab Assignments).
1. AS/400 System Overview.
Major Characteristics of AS/400. Operating System/400. AS/400 Advanced Series. AS/400e Series and e-business Solutions.
2. Menus and User Interface - A Tutorial. aheads = Sign On and Sign Off. Types of Displays. Operating the System by Built-in Menus - Lab Exercise. Function Keys and Prompting - Lab Exercise.
3. AS/400 Control Language (CL) - A Tutorial. aheads = CL Command Syntax and Command Names. CL Command Parameters. Required and Optional Parameters. Sample CL Commands with the Required and Optional Parameters. Predefined and User-supplied Parameters Values. Command Entry and Command Prompting - Lab Exercise.
4. Work Management and Job Processing. aheads = Work Management Concept and Structure Jobs and Subsystems. Major System and Job Commands. Job Description.
5. Object-oriented Architecture. aheads = Concept of Object. Object Types. Object Management.
6. Using Libraries and Library List - A Tutorial. aheads = Concept of Library. Library Types. Library List. Commands for Manipulating the Library List.
7. Storage Management. aheads = Virtual Storage and Single-level Storage. Storage Pools. RAID-1 and RAID-5 Technologies. Managing DASD.
8. System Security. aheads = Security Levels. User Profile and Group Profile. User Classes. Authorization List.
9. Backup and Recovery. aheads = Overview of Backup and Recovery. Backup Methods and Commands. Recovery Methods and Commands.
II. UTILITIES (APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT TOOLS).
10. Programmer Menu and Application Development Tools. aheads = Programming Support. Programmer Menu. Overview of Application Development Tools.
11. Source Entry Utility (SEU) - A Tutorial. aheads = Features of SEU. Starting SEU. Start SEU Command Parameters. Editing Source Member. Using Prompts and Format Lines. Exiting from SEU.
12. Data File Utility (DFU) - A Tutorial. aheads = Data File Utility (DFU) Overview. Creating a DFU Program - Lab Exercise. Changing a DFU Program - Lab Exercise. Running a DFU Program - Lab Exercise. Deleting a DFU Program.
13. Screen Design Aid (SDA) - A Tutorial. aheads = Screen Design Aid (SDA) Overview. Designing and Creating Menus - Lab Exercise. Designing and Creating Displays - Lab Exercise. Testing Displays. Work Screen Functions.
14. Programming Development Manager (PDM) - A Tutorial. aheads = Programming Development Manager (PDM) Overview. Starting PDM. Working with Libraries Using PDM - Lab Exercise. Working with Objects Using PDM - Lab Exercise. Working with Members Using PDM - Lab Exercise. PDM Options and Corresponding Commands.
15. Relational Database Concept. aheads = Database Management System and Database Models. Concept and Structure of the Relational Database. Sample Tables and Views.
16. AS/400 Database: DB2/400. aheads = The Model and Terms of DB2/400. DB2/400 Database Files: Physical Files and Logical Files. Externally Described Files and Program Described Files.
17. Using Data Description Specifications (DDS) to Define Database Files - A Tutorial. aheads = DDS Concepts and Procedures. DDS Entries and Specifications. Using DDS to Define a Physical File. Using DDS to Define a Logical File. Using DDS to Define a Join Logical File. Entering and Compiling DDS - Lab Exercise.
18. AS/400 Programming Languages. aheads = AS/400 Application Programming Support. Overview of AS/400 Programming Languages.
19. Control Language Programming (CLP). aheads = Control Language Programming Overview. Major Functions of CL Programs. CL Program Structure. A Sample CL Program.
20. RPG/400. aheads = Structured RPG. RPG Logic Cycle. RPG Indicators. RPG Specifications and Op Codes. A Sample RPG/400 Program.
21. RPG/400 Versus RPG II. aheads = The Evolution of RPG. Externally Described Files. Structured Programming. Data Structure, Data Area, and Subfile. Indicators and Composite Key.
22. COBOL/400. aheads = COBOL/400 Overview. Identification Division. Environment Division. Data Division. Procedure Division. A Sample COBOL/400 Program.
23. SQL/400 - A Tutorial. aheads = SQL/400 Overview. SQL Statements - Lab Exercise. Embedded SQL and Interactive SQL.
24. Query/400 - A Tutorial. aheads = Query/400 Overview. Major Options of Query/400. Using Query/400 - Lab Exercise.
25. AS/400 Integrated Language Environment (ILE), Modular Programming, and Object-oriented Programming (OOP). aheads = ILE Concepts and Key Elements. ILE Advantages. ILE Structure. ILE Versus Conventional Program Development.
26. Java on the AS/400. aheads = Java Overview. Programming in Java - A Tutorial. Java's Integration into the AS/400. Setting Up the AS/400 Toolbox for Java.
V. CLIENT/SERVER, NETWORKING, AND INTERNET.
27. Client/Server with the AS/400. aheads = Client/Server Concept. Client/Server Pros and Cons. Client/Server Computing with the AS/400.
28. TCP/IP Network - A Tutorial. aheads = TCP/IP Overview. TCP/IP Network and Protocols. TCP/IP Configuration: Step-by-Step.
29. Internet and Web Enabling. aheads = Internet Terminology. Internet Connection for AS/400. World Wide Web HTTP Server. AS/400 Internet Security and Firewall for AS/400.
30. Groupware, Lotus Notes, and Domino for AS/400. aheads = Overview of Groupware, Lotus Notes, and Domino. Features of Domino for AS/400. Enterprise Integration with Domino for AS/400. Web Serving with Domino for AS/400.
31. SAP on the AS/400. aheads = SAP Overview. Open System Architecture. SAP R/3 Multi-layer Client/Server Architecture. Combining the Strengths of SAP R/3 and AS/400. Porting SAP R/3 to AS/400. AS/400 Functionality Integrated into SAP R/3.
32. Using Client Access - A Tutorial. aheads = Client Access Overview. Data Transfer from AS/400 - Lab Exercise. Data Transfer to AS/400 - Lab Exercise.
33. Developing an Application Project Using DB2/400, DDS, SEU, PDM, DFU, SDA, Query/400, RPG/400, and CL Commands. aheads = Asset Master Application Project Specifications. Creating a Library and Source Files. Database Layouts of Physical and Logical Files. Using Data Description Specifications (DDS) to Define Database Files. Using Source Entry Utility (SEU) and Programming Development Manager (PDM) to Enter and Compile DDS. Using Data File Utility (DFU) to Enter Data into Database Files. Using Query/400 to Retrieve Data from the Database Files and Produce Reports. Using Screen Design Aid (SDA) to Create an Asset Master. Online Inquiry Screen Coding, Entering, and Compiling an Interactive RPG/400 Program. Using Screen Design Aid (SDA) to Create a User-defined Menu. Running the User-defined Menu.
Answers to Even-numbered Questions.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Business » High Tech Management