- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Agribooks the Pearson Custom Publishing Program for Agricult series:
Dairy Cattle Scienceby Howard Tyler
Synopses & Reviews
A fundamental source of information in agricultural education, this book is extremely reader-friendly and organized into specific, short topics within broad general sections. Its coverage encompasses the skills needed to be competitive in today’s industry, and emphasizes the need for possessing a healthy balance between understanding the scientific principles of dairy science and the practical art of implementing those principles. A nine-part organization covers the dairy industry, genetic improvement, dairy nutrition, dairy feeds, reproductive physiology, lactation physiology, dairy health and disease, dairy cow comfort, and integrating disciplines: dairy management systems. For individuals interested in the agricultural field.
Table of Contents
I. THE DAIRY INDUSTRY.
1. History of Dairying.
2. Breeds of Dairy Cattle.
3. Dairy Industry Overview.
4. Dairy Product Processing.
5. Milk Marketing and Pricing.
6. Employee Management.
II. CONCEPTS IN GENETIC IMPROVEMENT.
7. Dairy Records and Programs.
8. Fundamentals of Dairy Genetics.
9. Selecting Herd Sires.
10. Herd Strategies for Genetic Improvement.
III. CONCEPTS IN DAIRY NUTRITION.
11. The Ruminant Digestive System.
12. Fundamentals of Dairy Nutrition.
13. Protein and Energy Requirements.
14. Requirements for Minerals, Vitamins, and Water.
15. Ration Formulation Strategies and Feeding Systems.
IV. CONCEPTS IN DAIRY FEEDS.
16. Fundamentals of Hay Quality.
17. Haymaking Systems and Marketing Hay.
18. Grazing Systems and Pasture Management.
19. Ensiled Feeds.
20. Silage Quality.
21. Silage Storage Systems.
22. Feed Sources for Concentrates.
23. Industry By-Products and Feed Additives.
V. CONCEPTS IN REPRODUCTIVE PHYSIOLOGY.
24. Fundamentals of Female Reproduction.
25. Reproductive Physiology and Management of the Bull.
26. Heat Detection and Estrus Synchronization.
27. Assisted Reproductive Technologies.
28. Pregnancy and Parturition.
VI. CONCEPTS IN LACTATION PHYSIOLOGY.
29. Anatomy and Physiology of the Mammary Gland.
31. Milk Letdown Reflex.
32. Milking Procedures and Process.
33. Milk Quality.
VII. CONCEPTS IN DAIRY HEALTH AND DISEASE.
34. Fundamentals of Biosecurity.
35. Major Infectious Diseases.
36. Infections of the Mammary Gland.
37. Health and Care of the Hoof.
38. External Parasites.
VIII. CONCEPTS IN DAIRY COW COMFORT.
39. Fundamentals of Dairy Cattle Welfare and Behavior.
40. Housing Issues for Dairy Cattle.
41. Assessing Cow Comfort.
42. Manure Management Practices.
XI. INTEGRATING DISCIPLINES: DAIRY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS.
43. Managing Pre-Weaned Calves.
44. Managing Replacement Heifers.
45. Managing Dry and Transition Cows.
46. Managing Metabolic Disorders.
47. Managing Lactating Cows.
What Our Readers Are Saying