- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Topics in Environmental Chemistry series:
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in Environmental Chemistry (Topics in Environmental Chemistry)by Nanny
Synopses & Reviews
This book demonstrates the usefulness of NMR spectroscopy for a wide variety of applications in environmental science and technology. It contains a wealth of information relating to instrumentation, sample preparation, and data interpretation. The book is divided into three sections discussing contaminant interaction, solution and condensed-phase characterization, and nutrients and natural organic matter characterization. In addition to these in-depth chapters, an introductory overview provides the basic principles of solution and solid-state NMR spectroscopy. Each section also contains a discussion of advances in each area directly attributable to NMR spectroscopy. A final chapter suggests future directions for the deployment of this powerful technology in environmental science.
The text aims to provide a bench-mark for the current application of NMR spectroscopy to research problems in environmental science and technology, and also to demonstrate the diversity and breadth of environmental research problems that NMR spectroscopy can address.
This book demonstrates the usefulness of NMR spectroscopy to a wide variety of topics in environmental science and technology. It presents research involving numerous nuclei in highly hetrogeneous and complex samples. In light of analyzing environmental samples with NMR spectroscopy, this book contains a wealth of information relating to instrumental techniques, sample preparation, and data interpretation. Due to the focus of NMR spectroscopy on environmental research, this book should be of interest to NMR spectroscopists as well as envionmental researchers in diverse fields such as chemistry, agriculture, environmental engineering and technology, and limnology.
Table of Contents
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy: Theory and Background, H. Knicker and M. A. Nanny
1. Sorption Processes in the Environment: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy as a New Analytical Method, M. A. Nanny
2. The Development of ¹³C Labeling and ¹³C NMR Spectroscopy Techniques to Study the Interaction of Pullutants with Humic Substances, J. M. Bortiatynski, P. G. Hatcher, and R. D. Minard
3. Proton and ¹]9F NMR Spectroscopy of Pesticide Intermolecular Interactions, S. J. Anderson
4. A ¹]9F and ²H NMR Spectroscopic Investigation of the Interaction Between Nonionic Organic Contaminants and Dissolved Humic Material, B. E. Herbert and P. M. Bertsch
5. Adsorption Isotherms and ¹³C Solid-state NMR Study of Hazardous Organic Compounds Sorbed on Coal Fly Ash, D. A. Netzel et al.
Solution and Condensed Phase Characterization
6. Solution and Condensed Phase Characterization, R. A. Minear and M. A. Nanny
7. NMR Studies of the Reaction of Amino Acids with Aqueous Chlorine, F. E. Scully et al.
8. Comparative Results of ²]7Al NMR Spectrometric and Ferron Colorimetric Analyses of Hydroxyaluminum Hydrolysis Products in Aged, Mildly Acidic, Aqueous Systems, D. V. Vivit, K. A. Thorn, and J. D. Hem
9. ²]7Al NMR Study of the Hydrolysis and Condensation of Organically Complexed Aluminum, F. Thomas et al.
10. Cation and Water Interaction in the Interlamellae of a Smectite Clay, A. Labouriau, C. T. Johnston, and W. L. Earl
11. ²H NMR and Gel Formation of the Ultrafine Solids Fraction Associated with the Athabasca Oil Sands Fine Tails, J. A. Ripmeester et al.
Nutrient and Natural Organic Matter Cycling in the Environment
12. Characterization of Natural Organic Matter by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, J. A. Leenheer
13. ³¹P FT-NMR of Concentrated Lake Water Samples, M. A. Nanny and R. A. Minear
14. Use of ³¹P NMR in the Study of Soils and the Environment, L. M. Condron, et al.
15. Characterization of Nitrogen in Plant Composts and Native Humic Material by Natural-Abundance ¹]5N CPMAS and Solution NMR Spectra, H. Knicker, R. Fründ, and H. -D. Lündemann
16. Acquisition and Interpretation of Liquid State ¹H NMR Spectra of Humic and Fulvic Acids, J. A. Leenheer, T. I. Noyes, and R. L. Wershaw
17. Preparation of Low-Carbon Sediments From the Mississippi River and Certain Tributaries for Solid-state CPMAS ¹³C NMR Analysis, J. A. Leenheer, G. E. Maciel, and T. I. Noyes
18. Research Needs for Environmental NMR, M. A. Nanny, R. A. Minear, and J. A. Leenheer
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
History and Social Science » Economics » General