- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Casebooks in Criticism series:
James Joyce's a Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: A Casebook (Casebooks in Criticism)by Mark A. Wollaeger
Synopses & Reviews
This casebook offers a comprehensive introduction to this landmark in modern fiction. The essays collected here will help first-time readers, teachers, and advanced scholars gain new insight into Joyce's semi-autobiographical story of an Irish boy's slow and difficult discovery of his artistic vocation. Mark Wollaeger's introduction provides an overview of the composition and early reception of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man as well as a survey of some of the recurrent issues debated by literary critics. Essays by Hugh Kenner and Patrick Parrinder offer both indispensable overviews of the entire novel-its themes, structure, and idiom-and close attention to specific interpretive cruxes. Other essays include classic responses by Wayne Booth, Fritz Senn, Michael Levenson, Hélène Cixous, and a newly revised and expanded version of Maud Ellmann's groundbreaking "Polytropic Man." Together the essays bring into focus the wide range of questions that have kept A Portrait fresh for the new millennium.
James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: A Casebook offers a comprehensive introduction to a landmark of modern fiction. The essays collected here will help first-time readers, teachers, and advanced scholars gain new insight into Joyce's semi-autobiographical story of an Irish boy's slow and difficult discovery of his artistic vocation.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 357-360).
About the Author
Mark A. Wollaeger is Associate Professor of English at Vanderbilt University.
Table of Contents
1. The Portrait in Perspective, Hugh Kenner
2. The Problem of Distance in A Portrait of the Artist, Wayne Booth
3. The Style of the Troubled Conscience, Hlne Cixous
4. A Portrait of the Artist, Patrick Parrinder
5. The Challenge: "ignotas animum" (An old-fashioned Close Guessing at a Borrowed Structure), Fritz Senn
6. The Name and the Scar: Identity in The Odyssey and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Maud Ellmann
7. Stephen's Diary in Joyce's portrait-The Shape of Life, Michael Levenson
8. Framing, Being Framed, and the Janus Faces of Authority, Vicki Mahaffey
9. Thrilled by His Touch: The Aestheticizing of Homosexual Panic in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Joseph Valente
10. Portrait of an Aesthete, Emer Nolan
11. The Woman of the Ballyhoura Hills: James Joyce and the Politics of Creativity, Marian Eide
12. 'Goodbye Ireland I'm Going to Gort': Geography, Scale, and Narrating the Nation, Marjorie Howes
13. Between Stephen and James: Portraits of Joyce as a Young Man, Mark A. Wollaeger
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like