- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Other titles in the Advances in Visual Cognition series:
Human Body Perception from the Inside Out (Advances in Visual Cognition)by Gunther Knoblich
Synopses & Reviews
The human body has long inspired artists, philosophers, musicians, and writers. Researchers in the psychological sciences, however, have only relatively recently begun to acknowledge the role the body plays in perception and cognition. With the general notion of cognition recently broadening to include its embodied nature, researchers' accounts of perception have increasingly come to include the body's special status as a window on the world and to accommodate the specific perceptual requirements for identifying, interpreting, and interacting with other bodies.
This volume presents a comprehensive overview of the rapid progress that has been made in understanding the human body and its relationship to perception. It will help to unify the relevant research from several independent areas of cognitive psychology and cognitive neuroscience and facilitate the development of an integrated framework for the study of human-body perception. Its sections cover the four major lines of research that have contributed and will continue to contribute to this new framework: body and multimodal perception, body representation, perception of biological motion, and intention and action in body perception. Each chapter provides a state-of-the-art account of exciting theoretical developments and empirical advances, and section introductions integrate the chapters and establish each section's place in the broader context of human-body-perception research. This volume will be an invaluable guide for student and professional researchers in visual perception, cognitive psychology, and cognitive neuroscience.
Table of Contents
1. 1. Human Body Perception from the Inside Out: Integrating Perspectives on Human Body Perception,, Günther Knoblich, Ian Thornton, Marc Grosjean, and Maggie Shiffrar
2. An introduction to body and multimodal perception,, Marc Grosjean
3. Beyond the body schema: Visual, prosthetic, and technological contributions to bodily perception and awareness,, Nicholas P. Holmes and Charles Spence
4. From "body in the brain" to "body in space": Sensory and intentional components of body representation,, Angelo Maravita
5. Multisensory representation of peripersonal space,, Elisabetta L
What Our Readers Are Saying
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » Medical Specialties