- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Other titles in the Practical Approach series:
Practical Approach Series #325: Spectrophotometry and Spectrofluorimetry: A Practical Approachby Michael G. Gore
Synopses & Reviews
This book helps readers better understand the background concepts and practical application of spectrophotometry and spectrofluorimetry. Optical spectroscopy underpins the day-to-day operations of most laboratories in the chemical, biological, and medical sciences. This edition contains substantially updated chapters addressing the principles of most of the more common applications, such as: spectrophotometry, spectrophotometric assays, spectrofluorimetry, time resolved fluorescence and phosphorescence studies, circular dichroism, and pre-equilibrium spectroscopic techniques. In all chapters, the emphasis is placed upon the practical aspects, with protocols to guide readers through test experiments. Several chapters introduce subjects that have traditionally depended upon spectroscopy, such as basic enzyme kinetics, ligand binding, data handling, and the more recent interest in the study of protein and DNA stability. Finally, the concept of 'global analysis' is introduced to provide the reader with an insight into this method of utilizing the vast arrays of experimental data provided by current instrumentation.
This book describes the theory and practical applications of many analytical techniques based upon the light absorbing properties of molecules. Such techniques form the basis of routine tests in chemical, biological, and medical science laboratories. Practical advice is given, from experts in the different topics, together with lists of useful literature.
Table of Contents
List of protocols
1. Introduction to light absorption; visible and ultraviolet spectra, Robert K. Poole and Uldis Kalnenieks
2. Fluorescence principles and measurement, Arthur G. Szabo
3. Time resolved fluorescence and phosphorescence spectroscopy, Thomas D. Bradrick and Jorge E. Churchich
4. An introduction to circular dichroism, Alison Rodger and Matthew A. Ismail
5. Quantitative determination of equilibrium binding isotherms for the multiple ligand - macromolecule interactions using spectroscopic methods, Wlodzimierz Bujalowski and Maria J. Jezewska
6. Steady state kinetics, Athel Cornish-Bowden
7. Spectrophotometric assays, T.J. Mantle and D.A. Harris
8. Stopped flow spectroscopy, M.T. Wilson and J. Torres
9. Stopped flow fluorescence spectroscopy, Michael G. Gore and Stephen P. Bottomley
10. Stopped flow circular dichroism, Alison Rodger and Michael J. Carey
11. Spectrophotometry and fluorimetry of cellular compartments and intracellular processes, C. Lindsay Bashford
12. Use of optical spectroscopic methods to study the thermodynamic stability of proteins, Maurice R. Eftink and Haripada Maity
13. The use of spectroscopic techniques in the study of DNA stability, John SantaLucia, Jr.
List of suppliers
What Our Readers Are Saying
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » Medical Specialties