- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
The Complete Book of International Adoption: A Step by Step Guide to Finding Your Childby Dawn Davenport
Synopses & Reviews
The go-to guide for everything you want to know about international adoption
From the initial decision—Is adoption right for you?—through returning home with your child—How can you ease the transition?—The Complete Book of International Adoption takes parents step by step through the entire process of adopting a child from another country.
You will find:
• An easy-to-understand analysis of the differences between domestic and international adoption
• Advice on choosing a country, including 25 important factors to consider, such as the waiting times involved and the estimated costs for each of the top placing countries, with charts for easy comparison
• A detailed discussion of the potential health issues based on the latest research and interviews with doctors who specialize in international adoption
• Worksheets and a suggested system for preparing and organizing the extensive paperwork involved
• Parenting tips to enhance attachment and suggestions for addressing the issues that come up in raising an internationally adopted child
• Real parents’ stories and advice at every stage of the process
• Plus all of the information you need to select your agency, plan financially, prepare for the home study, travel sensibly, evaluate your child’s health and integrate your new family
More than just provide the facts, The Complete Book of International Adoption also helps parents manage the emotional rollercoaster that comes with the territory. Sensitive, wise, and often witty, this book is a must-have for any parent considering building their family through adoption.
A comprehensive handbook for prospective adoptive parents offers a user-friendly approach to the international adoption process that discusses the pros and cons of domestic versus foreign adoption, the restrictions by country on would-be parents, the children available, adoption agencies, the latest regulations and procedures, and the paperwork required. Original. 15,000 first printing.
Dawn Davenport is a mom of four through both birth and international adoption. She is a researcher, writer, attorney, and adoption expert. She can be reached through her website at www.findingyourchild.com. She speaks at many conferences on this topic and is interviewed frequently by national media. She lives in North Carolina.
About the Author
DAWN DAVENPORT is the mom of four through both birth and international adoption. She is the international adoption expert for Resolve, the national infertility support organization, and has been interviewed by NPR, 60 Minutes, and Primetime Live. She lives in Brevard, North Carolina.
Table of Contents
Is international adoption right for you? — Deciding on a country — Deciding on an agency — Affording adoption — Surviving the home study — Preparing the paperwork — Surviving the wait — The referral and medical evaluation — Meeting your child — Back home.
What Our Readers Are Saying