- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Other titles in the Culture and Customs of Europe series:
Culture and Customs of Croatia (Culture and Customs of Europe)by Marilyn. Cvitanic
Synopses & Reviews
Culture and Customs of Croatia offers an expert insider's look at a Balkan nation which, for the first time since the 12th century, is free to draw on its own traditions to determine its political, philosophical, and cultural identity.
Culture and Customs of Croatia provides a comprehensive overview of Croatian art and culture with an emphasis on the historical factors contributing to contemporary Croatian life. An in-depth exploration of the country's past lays the groundwork for a discussion of a number of current issues, including progress towards EU membership, the expanding role of the Catholic Church, preservation of the country's World Heritage Sites, the growing popularity of the nation's Adriatic coastline as a beach vacation destination, and the complex, still reverberating legacy of the former Yugoslavia.
Book News Annotation:
Geared towards high school students or undergraduates, this volume covers the geography, history, religion, cuisine, fashion, media and cinema of Croatia. Included in the text are a number of photographs and a chronology of important Croatian events. Cvitanic (professor of fine arts and painter) includes interesting tidbits and trivia e. g., that there is a statue of Orson Welles in the city of Split. Annotation ©2011 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
An expert guide to the present-day cultural life of Croatia and how it has been influenced by the nation's tumultuous past.
• Shows how Croatia's rich historical heritage is reemerging in the once-again independent country
• Helps readers understand Croatia's complicated recent history including the complex period of the Homeland War of the 1990s
• Provides an overview of the accomplishments of Croatian artists and writers, whose works are largely unfamiliar in Western Europe and the United States
In the aftermath of the 1990s Balkan War and its own internal wars, the nation of Croatia has emerged as an independent country. But it is by no means a new nation. Croatia had been an autonomous country in the pasta kingdom. But that was approximately 900 years ago.
• Includes a chronology of important historical and cultural milestones beginning with the arrival of the Romans through the present day, with an emphasis on the events of the Homeland War and the founding of an independent Croatian state
• Presents photographs of historic and contemporary architecture, landscapes, markets and foods, traditional and contemporary dress, sporting events, and more
What Our Readers Are Saying
» Arts and Entertainment » Architecture » General