- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Other titles in the Daily Life Through History series:
Daily Life During the California Gold Rush (Daily Life Through History)by Thomas Maxwell-long
Synopses & Reviews
It is easy to see the vestiges of the California Gold Rush in the state's modern culture. The San Francisco 49ers football team are named after the term given to those who flocked to California in 1849 in search of gold; California is nicknamed "the golden state;" and the official state motto is "Eureka" meaning "I have found it" in Greek—a reference to mining success. But the Gold Rush was not only a pivotal event with lasting impact in California; it also greatly affected America as a whole and global society.
This book examines the historical significances of the California Gold Rush, beginning with life in California prior to the Gold Rush and European colonization and concluding with information regarding contemporary California. Readers will gain historical insights from the highly detailed explorations of how life in California evolved and understand the enormous impact of an event over 160 years ago on present-day America.
This comprehensive narrative history of the California Gold Rush describes daily life during this historic period, documenting its wide-reaching effects and examining the significant individuals and organizations of the time.
The California Gold Rush was the transformative event that made the United States a continental nation. The draw to "strike it rich" was so strong that over 100,000 people migrated into California in 1849at a time when the American population was only about 20 million, and long-distance travel was extremely difficult and hazardous.
• Provides the first comprehensive historical account of daily life during the Gold Rush
• Covers not only the Gold Rush itself, but also the greater history of California prior to the Gold Rush as well as the post-Gold Rush era, effectively presenting the multidimensional significances of this monumental event
• Compares the California Gold Rush with the other U.S. gold rushes that occurred before and after
• Contains excerpts from California Gold Rush diaries and California Gold Rush era publications
• Provides a chronology of the events leading up to the Gold Rush, the event itself, and the greater outgrowth of historical change afterwards
• Includes maps distinguishing the location of the mining towns during the California Gold Rush as well as provocative vintage images from the Gold Rush era
• An extensive bibliography provides primary and secondary sources on the Gold Rush
• A comprehensive glossary defines Gold Rush terms
What Our Readers Are Saying
History and Social Science » Americana » General