- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Greenwood Histories of the Modern Nations series:
The History of Costa Rica (Greenwood Histories of the Modern Nations)by Monica Rankin
Synopses & Reviews
The History of Costa Rica provides a thorough, straightforward narrative of a Central American country that has become increasingly more visible since the end of the 20th century. Written for students and the general reader, this book covers the nation from its pre-Colombian origins to the present day.
This chronologically organized volume documents the area's earliest inhabitants, then moves on through the colonial period, the process of nation-state formation in the 19th century, the volatile period of liberal reform, and the era of civil war and its aftermath. More recent times are also explored, including the role of Costa Rica in the Cold War, the peace process of the 1980s, and the development of the strong tourism industry that flourishes today. Among the prominent themes running through the book are the unique historical development of the country, the importance of its democratic tradition, and Costa Rica's role in a global context.
Concise yet thorough, this engaging book provides an overview of the unique history of an increasingly important Central American nation.
• Offers a concise history that is accessible to the general reader
• Outlines the unique nature of Costa Rica's history
• Explains how this Central American nation built a strong democracy while its neighbors struggled with political instability
• Focuses on many of the relatively recent events of the 20th and 21st centuries that affect tourists, students, and others who travel to Costa Rica
• A chronology of important events from the pre-Columbian era to the present
• Biographical entries of important personalities
• A glossary of important terms
• A bibliographic essay of contemporary works on Costa Rica
What Our Readers Are Saying
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » History of Medicine