- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Other titles in the Longman Topics series:
Language and Prejudiceby Tamara M. Valentine
Synopses & Reviews
Book News Annotation:
About 30 readings for students of writing demonstrate the power of language in current issues relating to society, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, and ableism. Each section concludes with a guide to avoiding discriminatory language for that topic. There is no index.
Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Table of Contents
1. Language and Society.
1. Haig A Bosmajian. Introduction, From “The Language of Oppression.”
2. David Crystal, The Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis.
3. Kamala Das, An Introduction.
4. Eva Hoffman, Exile from “Lost in Translation.”
5. Lewis Carroll, Humpty Dumpty.
6. Abigail Van Buren, Proud to be an American Means Speaking any Language, for Some.
2. Language and Ethnicity.
7. Amoja Three Rivers, Cultural Etiquette: A Guide for the Well-Intentioned.
8. Ossie Davis, The English Language Is My Enemy!
9. Randall Kennedy, How Are We Doing with Nigger?
10. Rob Nelson, The Word ‘Nigga’ Is only for Slaves and Sambos.
11. Clara Standing Soldier, Ordinary Words Cause Extraordinary Pain.
12. S. L. Price, The Indian Wars.
13. Thomas Friedmann, Heard Any Good Jews Lately?
14. Mark McDonald, Term Limits: Hispanic? Latino? A National Debate Proves No One Name Pleases Everyone.
15. Anita Vasudeva, Can You Talk Mexican?
16. Aparisim Ghosh, Subcontinental Drift: The Mind of a Racist.
17. Guidelines for Avoiding Racist Language.
3. Language and Gender.
18. Laura Hutchison, A Script of Their Own.
19. Pamela Perry, The Secret Language of Women.
20. Alleen Pace Nilsen, Sexism in English: Embodiment and Language.
21. Cheris Kramarae and Paula A. Treichler, From Words on a Feminist Dictionary.
22. Deborah Tannen, Marked Women.
23. Ashwini Dhongde, Small Ads: Matrimonials.
24. Mark Magnier, In Japan, Women Fight for the Last Word on Last Names.
25. Guidelines for Gender-Neutral Language or Nonsexist Language.
4. Language and Sexuality.
26. Jessica Parker,
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like