- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
This title in other editions
Other titles in the Plant Breeding Reviews series:
Plant Breeding Reviews #27: Plant Breeding Reviews, Plant Breeding Reviewsby Jules Janick
Synopses & Reviews
Plant Breeding Reviews presents state-of-the-art reviews on plant genetics and the breeding of all types of crops by both traditional means and molecular methods. Many of the crops widely grown today stem from a very narrow genetic base; understanding and preserving crop genetic resources is vital to the security of food systems worldwide. The emphasis of the series is on methodology, a fundamental understanding of crop genetics, and applications to major crops. It is a serial title that appears in the form of one or two volumes per year.
Table of Contents
1. Dedication: Fredrick A. Bliss Teacher, Researcher, and Director of Plant Breeding (Thomas C. Osborn).
2. Sugarcane Improvement through Breeding and Biotechnology (Ray Ming, Paul H. Moore, Kuo-Kao Wu, Angélique D’Hont, Jean C. Glaszmann, Thomas L. Tew, T. Erik Mirkov, Jorge da Silva, John Jifon, Mamta Rai, Raymond J. Schnell, Stevens M. Brumbley, Prakash Lakshmanan, Jack C. Comstock, and Andrew H. Paterson).
II. Sugarcane Breeding.
III. Sugarcane Improvement Through Biotechnology.
3. Breeding for Resistance to Maize Foliar Pathogens (Richard C. Pratt and Stuart G. Gordon).
II. Diseases Incited by Fungal Pathogens.
III. Diseases Incited by Viral Pathogens.
IV. Diseases Incited by Bacterial Pathogens.
4. Synteny in the Rosaceae (Pere Arús, Toshiya Yamamoto, Elisabeth Dirlewanger, and Albert G. Abbott).
II. Genetic Maps in the Main Rosaceae Species.
III. Map Comparisons.
IV. Other Genetic Resources of Interest for Map Comparison.
V. Future Prospects.
5. Genetic Mapping and Molecular Breeding in Cucurbits (Yi-Hong Wang, Ralph A. Dean, and Tarek Joobeur).
II Classic Genetic Maps.
III. Molecular Genetic Maps.
IV. Gene Tagging.
V. QTL Mapping.
VI. Molecular Breeding.
VII. Gene Cloning.
VIII. Cucurbit Genomics.
IX. Future Prospects.
6. Breeding Douglas-Fir (Glenn T. Howe, Keith Jayawickrama, Marilyn Cherry, G. R. Johnson, and Nicholas C. Wheeler).
III. Distinctive Characteristics of Forest Trees.
IV. Douglas-Fir: The Species.
V. Factors That Influence Douglas-Fir Breeding.
VI. Breeding Goals and Objectives.
VII. Overview of Tree Breeding Methods.
VIII. Breeding Programs.
IX. Breeding and Testing Methods.
X. Production of Improved Materials for Reforestation.
XII. Gene Conservation.
Cumulative Subject Index.
Cumulative Contributor Index.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » General