- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
More copies of this ISBN
The Chronic Pain Solution: Your Personal Path to Pain Reliefby James N Dillard
Synopses & Reviews
Every morning, more than 50 million Americans wake up to another day in pain. If you are one of them, you know the way chronic pain can take over your life: the lost work and missed pleasures, the harsh drugs or surgeries, the feelings of anger and frustration, the endless search from doctor to doctor. It doesnt have to be that way.
This remarkable book, by one of the leading pain specialists in America, puts in your hands the resources usually available only at the most sophisticated pain clinics. Recent research has shown that the solution to the puzzle of pain is almost never one “magic bullet” treatment. What works is a combination of therapies--often three or more--customized to your individual needs. Some drugs or surgeries can actually make your condition worse, while surprisingly gentle alternative therapies can provide measurable, lasting relief. The key is knowing how to combine the best of both conventional and alternative medicine.
Dr. James Dillard offers you what few physicians today are trained to provide:
• fascinating new information on how pain affects your body and mind--including six myths that can keep you from healing
• a detailed guide to more than 40 treatment methods, from state-of-the-art microsurgery and pharmaceuticals to acupuncture,
yoga, and biofeedback
• individual chapters on the 12 most common types of pain, from arthritis and back pain to fibromyalgia and migraines--clearly indicating what works and what to avoid
• The Pain-Control Diet--and 20 top supplements for pain relief
• how to build your pain-management team and get what you need from your insurance company
• checklists, self-evaluations, and guides for tracking treatment
• special chapters on children, seniors, pregnant women, terminal pain--plus how you can help a loved one in pain
You can take back your life from pain. The Chronic Pain Solution will guide you every step of the way.
From the Hardcover edition.
This remarkable book, by one of the leading pain specialists in America, puts in readers' hands combinations of effective therapies usually available only at the most sophisticated pain clinics.
As one of the nation's leading pain specialists, Dr. James Dillard works at the frontier of the medical revolution that is changing how chronic pain is understood and treated. His public television pledge special, "Chronic Pain Relief with Dr. James Dillard," airing nationally in spring 2003, positions him as the expert to consult for millions of people who may have suffered needlessly for years. With its emphasis on approaching pain itself as a treatable disease, The Chronic Pain Solution provides:
- A look at the emerging science of pain and why it offers hope for relief
- A detailed guide to more than 40 treatment methods that combine the best of conventional and alternative medicine
- Individual chapters on the twelve most common painful conditions
- Step-by-step guidance for working with your doctor, choosing the right therapies, and measuring progress.
About the Author
James N. Dillard, M.D., D.C., C.Ac., is assistant clinical professor, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and clinical adviser to Columbias Rosenthal Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. He is also attending physician, the New York-Presbyterian Hospitals; attending physician, Beth Israel Medical Center, Department of Pain Medicine and Palliative Care and Continuum Center for Health and Healing; and director of Complementary Medicine Services, University Pain Center, Manhattan. His media appearances have included The Oprah Winfrey Show, Good Morning America, and the CBS Evening News.
Leigh Ann Hirschman is a Chicago-based writer.
From the Hardcover edition.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » Alternative