- Used Books
- Kobo eReading
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Language in Society series:
Language in Society #8: Language, the Sexes, and Societyby Philip M. Smith
Synopses & Reviews
In studying the various roles that language, speech and communication play in relations between the sexes, Language, The Sexes and Society identifies and illuminates the processes involved- such as stereotyping, social categorization and discrimination.
Recent research has set out clearly enough how men and women use language in different ways. But this research has frequently failed to identify the social, psychological and linguistic processes that underlie sex differences in language. Philip Smith adopts here a completely fresh approach. In studying the various roles that language, speech and communication play in relations between the sexes, he identifies and illuminates the processes involved- such as stereotyping, social categorization and discrimination.
About the Author
Philip M. Smith is Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of British Columbia.
Table of Contents
1. Major Influences on Language and Sex Research.
2. The Sociogenesis of Relations between the Sexes.
3. Language and the Representation of Women and Men.
4. Feminine and Masculine Speech.
5. The Measurement of Femininity and Masculinity.
6. Judging Masculine and Feminine Social Identities from Speech: Two Experiments.
7. The Management of Interaction.
8. Language, the Sexes and Social Change.
Index of Names.
Index of Subjects.
What Our Readers Are Saying