- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Other titles in the Blackwell Readers series:
The Hegel Reader (Blackwell Readers)by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Synopses & Reviews
The Hegel Reader is the most comprehensive collection of Hegel's writings currently available in English. It contains four important "early writings", as well as selections from Hegel's mature writings and lectures which are central to his system and also have special relevance for post-Hegelian thinkers. There is also an extensive bibliography listing the main German editions of Hegel's works, most of the currently available English translations of his texts, as well as a selection of important secondary works.
The Hegel Reader is the most comprehensive collection of Hegel's writings currently available in English.
About the Author
Stephen Houlgate is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Warwick. He is the author of Hegel, Nietzsche and the Criticism of Metaphysics (1986) and Freedom, Truth and History: An Introduction to Hegel's Philosophy (1991), and is the editor of Hegel and the Philosophy of Nature (1997).
Table of Contents
Part I: Early Writings:.
1. The Earliest System-Programme of German Idealism.
3. Fragment of a System.
4. The Difference Between Fichte's and Schelling's System of Philosophy: The Need of Philosophy.
Part II: Phenomenology of Spirit:.
5. Phenomenology of Spirit: Preface.
6. Phenomenology of Spirit: Introduction.
7. Phenomenology of Spirit: Consciousness. Sense-certainty.
8. Phenomenology of Spirit: Self-consciousness.
9. Phenomenology of Spirit: Spirit. Absolute Freedom and Terror.
10. Phenomenology of Spirit: Spirit. Absolute Knowing.
Part III: Logic:.
11. Encyclopaedia Logic: Introduction.
12. Encyclopaedia Logic: Preliminary Conception.
13. Science of Logic: Introduction.
14. Science of Logic: With What Must the Science Begin?.
15. Science of Logic: Doctrine of Being.
16. Science of Logic: Doctrine of Essence.
17. Science of Logic: Doctrine of the Notion [Concept].
Part IV: Philosophy of Nature and Philosophy of Subjective Spirit:.
18. Philosophy of Nature: Introduction.
19. Philosophy of Nature: Mechanics. Space and Time.
20. Philosophy of Nature: Organics. The Animal Organism.
21. Philosophy of Spirit: Introduction.
22. Philosophy of Subjective Spirit: Anthropology and Phenomenology of Spirit.
23. Philosophy of Subjective Spirit: Psychology.
Part V: Philosophy of Objective Spirit: Philosophy of Right and Philosophy of History:.
24. Philosophy of Right: Preface and Introduction.
25. Philosophy of Right: Abstract Right and Morality.
26. Philosophy of Right: Ethical Life.
27. Philosophy of History: Introduction.
Part VI: Philosophy of Absolute Spirit: Aesthetics, Philosophy of Religion and History of Philosophy:.
28. Aesthetics: The Ideal.
29. Aesthetics: The Particular Forms of Art.
30. Aesthetics: Tragedy, Comedy and Drama.
31. Philosophy of Religion: Preface and the Consummate Religion.
32. History of Philosophy: Introduction.
What Our Readers Are Saying