- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
This title in other editions
Other titles in the Blackwell Readers in American Social and Cultural History series:
Blackwell Readers in American Social and Cultural History #8: American Religious Historyby Porterfield
Synopses & Reviews
Religious diversity is more prolific and wide-ranging in the United States than in any other country. The legal guarantee of religious freedom has encouraged respect for religious differences as well as a tendency to debunk institutional religious authority. In this outstanding historical Reader, the editor has gathered nine essays and over thirty primary documents to present a coherent picture of the history of American religion.
The picture is a balanced one, identifying major developments and important controversies in American religious history as well as presenting a wide range of beliefs and practices. The book also includes an introductory essay and headnotes that serve as a map for the dozens of articles and documents that follow. Through this volume, students and scholars will understand more about some of the most significant moments, trends, aspects, and interpretations of American religious history.
In this outstanding historical reader, the editor has gathered nine essays and over thirty primary documents to present a coherent picture of the history of American religion.
About the Author
Amanda Porterfield is Professor in the Religious Studies Program at the University of Wyoming. She is the author of Feminine Spirituality in America (1980), Female Piety in New England (1992), The Power of Religion (1998), and The Transformation of American Religion (2001).
Table of Contents
Series Editor's Preface.
About the Contributors.
Part I: Historical Essays.
1. Errand Into the Wilderness. (Perry Miller).
2. Exchanging Selves, Exchanging Souls: Contact, Combination, and American Religious History. (Catherine L. Albanese).
3. Shouting Methodists. (Ann Taves).
4. Protestantism as Establishment. (William R. Hutchison).
5. American Fundamentalism: The Ideal of Femininity. (Randall Balmer).
6. Catholicism and American Culture: Strategies for Survival. (Jay P. Dolan).
7. Conservative Judaism. (Gerson D. Cohen).
8. "Introduction," The Faces of Buddhism in America. (Charles S. Prebish).
9. Striving for Muslim Women's Human Rights – Before and Beyond Beijing: An African American Perspective. (Gwendolyn Zoharah Simmons).
Part II: Primary Documents.
10. A Model of Christian Charity (1630). (John Winthrop).
11. Examination of Mrs. Anne Hutchinson (1637).
12. A Key into the Language of America (1643). (Roger Williams).
13. Poems (1640–1665). (Anne Bradstreet).
14. The Nature of True Virtue (1765). (Jonathan Edwards).
15. Act for Establishing Religious Freedom (1779). (Thomas Jefferson).
16. The Code of Handsome Lake (Ca.1800). (Edward Cornplanter).
17. What a Revival of Religion Is (1834). (Charles Grandison Finney).
18. The Life and Religious Experience of Jarena Lee (1836). (Jarena Lee).
19. Nature (1836). (Ralph Waldo Emerson).
20. Poems (1863–1864). (Emily Dickinson).
21. The American Republic: Its Constitution, Tendencies, and Destiny (1865). (Orestes Brownson).
22. Our Country's Place in History (1869). (Isaac M. Wise).
23. Pre-Existence of Our Spirits (1872). (Orson Pratt).
24. Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures (1875). (Mary Baker Eddy).
25. A Function of the Social Settlement (1899). (Jane Addams).
26. The Varieties of Religious Experience (1902). (William James).
27. The Scofield Reference Bible (1909).
28. Christianity and Liberalism (1923). (J. Gresham Machen).
29. From Union Square to Rome (1939). (Dorothy Day).
30. The Future of the American Jew (1948). (Mordecai M. Kaplan).
31. "Foreword," The Sacred Pipe (1953). (Black Elk).
32. "Sunflower Sutra" (1955) and "Kaddish" (1958). (Allen Ginsberg).
33. Nonviolence and Racial Justice (1957). (Martin Luther King, Jr.).
34. God's Judgment of White America (1963). (Malcolm X).
35. "Preface," The Protestant Establishment (1964): E. Digby Baltzell.
36. Religious Freedom (1966). ( John Courtney Murray).
37. Beyond God the Father (1973). (Mary Daly).
38. Ceremony (1977). (Leslie Marmon Silko).
39. "American Indian Religious Freedom," Public Law 95–341 (1978).
40. Sexism and God-Talk (1983). (Rosemary Radford Ruether).
41. The Voice of Sarah (1990). (Tamar Frankiel).
42. Thoughts Without a Thinker (1995). (Mark Epstein).
43. Active Faith (1996). (Ralph Reed).
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like