- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
More copies of this ISBN
Other titles in the Exploring series:
Exploring Californias Missions & Pre 1ST Editionby Falcon Guide
Synopses & Reviews
As Spanish authorities colonized Alta California, they established 21 Franciscan missions and four forts, or presidios, to bring the native inhabitants of the region under control and to provide for security and defense. Today, the missions and presidios are among California's most popular historic landmarks, and enduring reminders of California's Spanish and Mexican past. For travelers and outdoor enthusiasts who want to experience a taste of all that the area has to offer, this book contains short hikes, biking, and other outdoor recreation opportunities, plus travel information and natural history. It is a fun and fascinating tour of the missions and presidios for vacationers and history buffs alike.
Other books in the Exploring series include Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area, Canyonlands and Arches National Park, Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout National Seashores, Dinosaur National Monument, Florida's Atlantic Coast Beaches, Florida's Gulf Coast Beaches, Glacier National Park, Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail, Gulf Islands National Seashore, Hawaii's Parklands, Mount Helena, Point Reyes National Seashore and Golden Gate National Recreation Area, and Southern California Beaches.
As Spanish authorities colonized Alta California, they established twenty-one Franciscan missions and four forts, or presidios, to bring the native inhabitants of the region under control and to provide for security and defense. Today, the missions and presidios are among California's most popular historic landmarks, and enduring reminders of California's Spanish and Mexican past. This guidebook is a fun and fascinating tour of the missions and presidios for vacationers and history buffs alike.
From San Diego to San Francisco, California's rich Spanish and Mexican heritage is showcased in its missions and presidios. Among the state's most popular historic landmarks, these religious and military establishments are enduring reminders of the days when Franciscan missionaries converted native inhabitants to Catholicism and leather-jacketed soldiers flexed their political and military might. Today vacationers and history buffs alike enjoy the distinctive architecture, unique religious art and artifacts, beautiful courtyard gardens, and many quiet, contemplative spaces found in and around these historic sites.
Inside you'll find:
Detailed descriptions of twenty-three missions and four presidios
Historical information on each site
Maps and directions
Listings of mission festivals and Sunday Mass schedules
Nearby points of interest.
Whether you live in California or are planning a visit, A FalconGuide to California's Missions and Presidios shows you where to go and what to do to get the most out of your time exploring California's Spanish and Mexican legacy.
- Best time of year to visit
- Facilities, fees, and recreational activities
- RV sites and campgrounds
- Nearby points of interest
- Detailed maps of each area
About the Author
Tracy Salcedo-Chourré is the author of 15 previous books, including Exploring Point Reyes National Seashore and Golden Gate National Recreation Area. A native of California, she lives in the Bay Area with her husband and three sons.
Table of Contents
(1) Introduction (2) Inside This Guide (3) California's Spanish Legacy (4) Mission San Diego de Alcalá (5) Mission San Luis Rey de Francia (6) Mission San Antonio de Pala (7) Mission San Juan Capistrano (8) Mission San Gabriel Arcángel (9) San Gabriel Mission Estancia (10) Mission San Fernando Rey de España (11) Mission San Buenaventura (12) Mission Santa Barbara (13) Mission Santa Inés (14) Mission La Purísima Concepción (15) Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa (16) Mission San Miguel Arcángel (17) Mission San Antonio de Padua (18) Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad (19) Mission San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo (Carmel Mission) (20) Mission San Juan Bautista (21) Mission Santa Cruz (22) Mission Santa Clara de Asís (23) Mission San José (24) Mission San Francisco de Asís (Mission Dolores) (25) Mission San Rafael Arcángel (26) Mission San Francisco Solano (Sonoma Mission) (27) The Presidio of San Diego (28) The Presidio of Santa Barbara (29) The Presidio of Monterey (30) The Presidio of San Francisco (31) Glossary (32) Sources and Further Reading
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like