- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
Other titles in the New Directions for Adult & Continuing Education series:
New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, Providing Culturally Relevant Adult Education: A Challenge for the Twenty-First Century, No. 82 Sum
Synopses & Reviews
Traditional adult learning theory has not accounted for the many cultural differences manifested in adult education programs and in ethnic and racial communities. This issue of New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education offers more inclusive theories that focus on how learners construct meaning in a social and cultural context. The volume identifies ways that adult educators can work more effectively with racially, ethnically, and linguistically marginalized learners, and explores how adult education can be an effective tool for empowering marginalized learners to take control of their circumstances. The authors—who share the same cultural backgrounds as the populations they serve—provide ideas for enhancing the learning experiences of African Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Native Americans in adult education programs.
This is the 82nd issue of the quarterly journal New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education,
About the Author
TALMADGE C. GUY is assistant professor in the Department of Adult Education at the University of Georgia, Athens.
Table of Contents
1. Cutlure as Context for Adult Education: The Need for Culturally Relevant Adult Education (Talmadge C. Guy).
2. Adult Learning: Moving Toward More Inclusive Theories and Practices (Donna D. Amstutz).
3. Giving Voice: Inclusion of African American Students' Polyrhythmic Realities in Adult Basic Education (Vanessa Sheared).
4. The Quest for Visibility in Adult Education: The Hispanic Experience (Jorge Jeria).
5. Navajo Language and Culture in Adult Education (Louise Lockard).
6. Creating a Culturally Relevant Dialogue for African American Adult Educators (Elizabeth A. Peterson).
7. Culturally Relevant Adult Education: Key Themes and Common Purposes (Talmadge C. Guy).
What Our Readers Are Saying