- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the New Directions for Adult & Continuing Education series:
New Directions for Adult & Continuing Education #84: An Update on Adult Development Theory: New Ways of Thinking about the Life Course: New Directions for Adult and Continuing Educationby M. Carolyn Clark
Synopses & Reviews
Our approach to adult learners and the learning process is shaped by our knowledge of how adults change and develop across the life span. This issue of New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education reviews the latest work in adult developmental theory in the biological, psychological, sociocultural, and integrated domains, and explores the implications of this work for adult education. Chapters examine how gender, race, and sexual orientation affect our sense of self; explore spiritual development and theories of aging; and offer a way of understanding development in terms of how people use narrative to organize and make meaning of their experiences.
This is the 84th issue of the quarterly journal New Directions for Adult and Continuing Development,
About the Author
M. CAROLYN CLARK is associate professor of adult education at Texas A&M University, College Station.
ROSEMARY S. CAFFARELLA is professor of educational leadership at the University of Northern Colorado, Greeley.
Table of Contents
1. Theorizing Adult Development (M. Carolyn Clark, Rosemary S. Caffarella).
2. Our Complex Human Body: Biological Development Explored (Vivian W. Mott).
3. Psychological Development: Becoming a Person (Patricia M. Reeves).
4. GAnder Development and GAndered Adult Development (Jovita M. Ross-Gordon).
5. Racial and Ethnic Identity and Development (Alicia Fedelina Chavez, Florence Guido-DiBrito).
6. The Development of Sexual Identity (Kathleen Edwards, Ann K. Brooks).
7. Development as Separation and Connection: Finding a Balance (Kathleen Taylor).
8. Time as the Integrative Factor (Sharan B. Merriam).
9. Understanding Adult Development as Narrative (Marsha Rossiter).
10. The Spiritual Dimensions of Adult Development (Elizabeth J. Tisdell).
11. Development and Learning: Themes and Conclusions (Rosemary S. Caffarella, M. Carolyn Clark).
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like