- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
Other titles in the Special Edition Using series:
Special Edition Using Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with CDROM (Special Edition Using)
Synopses & Reviews
Special Edition Using Windows 2000 Professional explores the synergy between Windows 2000 Professional and the corporate and Windows power users' desktop. Windows 2000 Professional is aimed directly at the power user who values the security, stability and networking capabilities of Windows 2000 alongside the ease and familiarity of the Windows 9x user interface. SE Using Windows 2000 covers upgrading from Windows 9x and Windows NT 4, working with the enhanced Windows 2000 interface, setting up Internet connections, configuring network security, working remotely, "Internetworking" with Windows 2000 Server, Windows 9x, Linux, Novell and Macintosh. Also includes extensive coverage of networking (including Virtual Private Networks) customizing the Windows interface and working with the Windows 2000 Registry.
Book News Annotation:
This reference focuses not only on the technology of Windows 2000 Professional, but also on why the user should care, what can be gotten from the program, and what can be ignored. Cowart (author of 12 books on Windows) and Knittel (software and networks designer) cover using the interface, running programs, organizing documents, sharing data between applications, printing, and managing fonts; internet connection options and tools; networking on the LAN; system configuration and customization; and system administration and maintenance. The accompanying CD-ROM contains a command-line reference, and a keyboard shortcuts and mouseless survival guide.
Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
This book explores the synergy between Windows NT Workstation and the corporate and Windows power users' desktop. CD-ROM contains versions of Partition Magic 4 and Drive Image 3.
About the Author
Bob Cowart has written more Windows books than any other author in the world. (Over 1 million copies sold!) He has written features and reviews for PC Week, PC World, Mac World, A+, and Microsoft Systems Journal. He has appeared on the PBS TV series Computer Chronicles and has taught at the University of California San Francisco. As a consultant, he specializes in custom database programming, networking, and systems installation. He has authored 32 books including several bestsellers such as Mastering Windows and Windows NT Unleashed.
Table of Contents
I. INTRODUCING WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL.
1. Introducing Windows 2000 Professional.
2. The Design and Architecture of Windows 2000 Professional.
3. Getting Your Hardware and Software Ready for Windows.
4. Installing Windows 2000.
II. GETTING YOUR WORK DONE.
5. Using the Windows 2000 Interface.
6. Organizing Your Work.
7. Using the Simple Supplied Applications.
8. Sharing Data Between Applications.
9. Printing and Faxing with Windows 2000.
10. Font Management.
III. WINDOWS 2000 AND THE INTERNET.
11. Internet and TCP/IP Connection Options.
12. World Wide Web.
15. Using NetMeeting.
16. Internet Diagnosis Tools.
17. Going Public: Creating Web Pages.
18. Using Internet Information Services to Host a Web Site.
19. Overview of Windows 2000 Networking.
20. Planning Your Windows 2000 Pro Network.
21. Instant Networking.
22. Using a Windows 2000 Network.
23. Windows Unplugged: Remote and Mobile Networking.
24. Connecting Your LAN to the Internet.
25. Networking Mix and Match.
26. Network Security.
27. Troubleshooting Your Network.
V. SYSTEM CONFIGURATION AND CUSTOMIZATION.
28. Tweaking the GUI.
29. Customizing via Control Panel Applets.
30. Maintaining and Optimizing System Performance.
VI. SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION AND SYSTEM MAINTENANCE.
31. System Management and Configuration Tools.
32. Managing Users.
33. Managing the Hard Disk.
34. OS Mix and Match.
35. The Registry.
36. Windows Script Host.
VI. APPENDIXES—ON THE CD-ROM.
A: Command-Line Reference CD.
B: Keyboard Shortcuts and Mouseless Survival CD: Guide.
What Our Readers Are Saying