- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
More copies of this ISBN
Other titles in the In Depth series:
Microsoft Windows 7 in Depth (In Depth)by Robert Cowart
Synopses & Reviews
- Tired of the constant barrage of spam, spyware, viruses and other 'net nasties? We show you how to rebuke the onslaught of hacker attacks, protect your identity and keep your sanity, all at the same time.
- Is the new Vista interface making your trigger finger itch? Ours, too…that is, until we turned Windows inside out, shook out all the loose parts and figured out just what makes this beast tick. Learn from our pain and suffering.
- If you finally broke down and purchased a Windows Media Center computer, or you think you have one and didn't even know it, then you are holding just the book for you. We show you how to get up to speed with your new computer, transforming it from the little PC that could into the media juggernaut you never knew it could be.
- From-the-trenches advice on upgrading to Windows 7 (from Vista and XP) - including detailed rollout advice for IT managers. Plan and manage deployment of Windows easily and efficiently - whether you're upgrading just a handful of computers, or an entire corporation!
- Hands-on coverage of installing, configuring and surviving on a Windows 7-based network. We not only show you how to set up Windows networking features, we show you how to install and setup basic networking hardware.
- Improved technology for sharing files with other platforms, such as Novell Netware, Unix and Linux, Macintosh and other Windows flavors. No longer will the Macs in your network be segregated from the Windows users.
Book News Annotation:
The authors of other Windows titles acknowledge that Windows 7, the latest version of the Microsoft operating system launched in October 2009, does require consulting references beyond its online help feature. But Cowart and Knittel consider it a significant improvement worth upgrading to from Windows XP and Windows Vista. Starting with an overview to guide decisions on which version to purchase, they cover Windows improved interface, security, Web browsing, performance, multimedia, networking, and system management and stability features. A trial online edition is available. Annotation ©2010 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
This In Depth guide to Microsoft Windows 7 offers comprehensive coverage, with detailed solutions; breakthrough techniques and shortcuts that are unavailable elsewhere; practical, real-world examples; troubleshooting help for tough problems readers can't fix on their own; and more.
Windows 7 In Depth
Beyond the Basics…Beneath the Surface…In Depth
Microsoft Windows 7 In Depth is the comprehensive guide to Microsoft's Windows 7 for everyone who's no longer a Windows beginner: corporate, small office/home office, and personal users alike. Top Windows authors Robert Cowart and Brian Knittel have packed this 1,100-page book with intensely useful and practical information that can't be found elsewhere. You can turn here for expert guidance on... " Migrating to Windows 7 as an individual - or rolling it out throughout a business " Making the most of Windows 7's powerhouse media tools " Installing, configuring, and managing Windows 7 networks more quickly and efficiently " Securing Windows 7 PCs against spam, spyware, viruses and other "Net Nasties" " Using the updated Windows 7 interface more efficiently " Troubleshooting and solving Windows 7 problems more rapidly " And much more..
Windows 7 In Depth
Beyond the Basics…Beneath the Surface…In Depth
Advice and techniques that you need to get the job done.
Looking for ways to streamline your work so that you can focus on maximizing your
time? In Depth provides specific, tested, and proven solutions to the problems you run
into every day—things other books ignore or oversimplify. This is the one book that you
can rely on to answer all the questions you have now and will have in the future.
In Depth offers:
Comprehensive coverage, with detailed solutions
Breakthrough techniques and shortcuts that are unavailable elsewhere
Practical, real-world examples with nothing glossed over or left out
Troubleshooting help for tough problems you can’t fix on your own
Outstanding authors recognized worldwide for their expertise and teaching style
Quick information via sidebars, tips, reminders, notes, and warnings
In Depth is the only tool you need to get more done in less time!
CATEGORY: Windows Operating System
COVERS: Microsoft® Windows 7
About the Author
Robert Cowart has written more than 40 books that have sold more than 1 million copies worldwide. He made his name writing for Sybex and Osborne, most notably the best-selling Mastering Windows series of books. As an author and media developer for Que, Bob has written numerous Windows titles, including multiple editions of Que’s flagship Windows book, Special Edition Using Microsoft Windows. Bob recently graduated from the California Institute of Integral Studies as a Marriage and Family Therapist Intern (MFTI), starting his private practice as a psychotherapist in Northern California.
Brian Knittel is a software developer, consultant, and writer. He’s authored or coauthored many of Que’s best-selling Windows books, including Que’s leading Windows book, Special Edition Using Microsoft Windows. Brian also is the author of Windows XP Under the Hood and coauthored Upgrading and Repairing Microsoft Windows with Scott Mueller.
Table of Contents
. Introducing Windows 7
1 Introducing Windows 7
2 Installing and Upgrading Windows 7
3 The First Hour
II. Using Windows 7
4 Using the Windows 7 Interface
5 Managing Files and Searching
7 Gadgets and Other Supplied Accessories
III. Multimedia and Imaging
8 Windows Media Player
9 Windows Media Center
10 Windows Imaging Tools
11 Scanning and Faxing
12 Sound Recorder, DVD Maker, and Other Multimedia Tools
IV. Windows 7 and the Internet
13 Getting Connected
14 Using Internet Explorer 8
15 Email and Newsgroups
16 Troubleshooting your Internet Connection
17 Creating a Windows Network
18 Mix and Match with Old Windows and Macs
19 Connecting your Network to the Internet
20 Using a Windows Network
21 Troubleshooting Your Network
VI. Maintaining Windows 7
22 Windows Management and Maintenance
23 Tweaking and Customizing Windows
24 Managing Hard Disks
25 Troubleshooting and Repairing Problems
26 Keeping Windows and Other Software Up To Date
27 Installing and Replacing Hardware
28 Editing the Registry
29 Command Line and Automation Tools
30 Protecting Windows From Viruses and Spyware
31 Protecting your Data from Loss and Theft
32 Protecting Your Network from Hackers and the Government
33 Protecting Yourself from Fraud and Spam
VIII. Windows On the Move
34 Wireless Networking
35 Hitting the Road
36 Meetings, Conferencing & Collaboration
37 Remote Desktop
38 Tablet PC Features
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Computers and Internet » Operating Systems » General
Health and Self-Help » Psychology » General
History and Social Science » World History » General