- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Other titles in the MacArthur New Testament Commentary series:
1-3 John (MacArthur New Testament Commentary)by John Macarthur
Synopses & Reviews
Truth and love are recurring themes throughout John's three epistles. As those changed by God, genuine believers will characteristically love the truth and exhibit true love for others. John's fiery passion for truth is coupled with his gentle compassion for his readers, giving these letters a pastoral quality that is both personal and profound.
Join John MacArthur as he explains each verse in a way that is both doctrinally precise and intensely practical.
The MacArthur New Testament Commentary series comes from the experience, wisdom, and insight of one of the most trusted ministry leaders and Bible scholars of our day. Each volume was written to be as comprehensive and accurate as possible, dealing thoroughly with every key phrase and word in the Scripture without being unnecessarily technical. This commentary will help to give a better, fuller, richer understanding of God's Word, while challenging the reader to a vibrant personal spiritual walk.
The apostle John is really a man for our
time. He wrote his three New Testament
letters in a bold, direct, even dogmatic
manner-more so perhaps than any
other New Testament writer. Although
renowned traditionally as the apostle of
love (and he was), he was an authoritative,
exclusive-style instructor with a crucial
message of truth versus error, a message
which the twenty-first century church
needs to hear.
The apostle John is really a man for our times. He wrote his three New Testament letters in a bold, direct, even dogmatic style, more so perhaps than any other New Testament writer. Although renowned traditionally as the apostle of love (and he was), he was an authoritative, uncompromising teacher and an exclusive-style instructor with a crucial message of truth versus error, which the church much needs to hear in the twenty-first century.
This commentary considers John's clear, simple, unambiguous words from his three brief but profound letters. His themes, some of them reiterated more than once, emerge powerfully, such as the first letter's stress on doctrinal certainty, moral clarity, and the preeminence of biblical love, along with the second letter's emphasis on living the truth and the third's on discerning friends and foes in the local church.
The apostle John wrote his three New Testament letters in a bold, direct, even dogmatic manner--more so perhaps than any other New Testament writer. Although renowned traditionally as the apostle of love, he was an authoritative, uncompromising teacher.
About the Author
JOHN F. MACARTHUR, JR. pastors Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California, and serves as President of the Master’s College and Seminary. A well-known Bible expositor and conference speaker, he has written more than six-dozen books, including the MacArthur New Testament Commentary Series and the MacArthur Study Bible. He is the Bible teacher on Grace to You, an international radio broadcast.
Table of Contents
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction to 1 John
1. Certainties of the Word of Life ( 1 John 1:1-4)
2. Tests of Salvation - Part 1: Belief in God and the Certainty of Sin (I John 1:5-6, 8, 10)
3. Test of Salvation - Part 2: Belief in the Forgiveness of Sins and Confession ( 1 John 1:7, 9; 2:1a)
4. Jesus Christ: The Divine Defense Attorney and the Perfect Propitiation (1 John 2:1b-2)
5. The Certainty of Christian Assurance (1 John 2:3-6)
6. A New Kind of Love ( I John 2:7-11)
7. The Stages of Spiritual Growth ( 1 John 2:12-14)
8. The Love God Hates (1 John 2:15-17)
9. Antichrists and Christians (1 John 2:18-27)
10. The Purifying Hope (1 John 2:28-3:3)
11. The Christian's Incompatibility with Sin (1 John 3:4-10)
12. The Children of the Devil versus the Children of God (1 John 3:11-18)
13. Holy Affections (1 John 3:19-24)
14. Testing the Spirits (1 John 4:1-6)
15. Manifesting Perfect Love ( 1 John 4:7-21)
16. How to Recognize an Overcomer (1 John 5:1-5)
17. The Witness of God (1 John 5:6-12)
18. Christian Certainties (1 John 5:13-21)
Introduction to 2 John
19. Living in the Truth (2 John 1-4)
20. The Limits of Love (2 John 5-13)
Introduction to 3 John
21. Sacrificial Love for Those Faithful to the Truth (3 John 1-8)
22. The Man Who Loved the Preeminence (3 John 9-14)
Index of Greek Words
Index of Scripture
Index of Subjects
What Our Readers Are Saying
Hobbies, Crafts, and Leisure » Games » Horse Racing