- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Teen-Focused Coping Skills series:
Kids with Courage: True Stories about Young People Making a Difference (Teen-Focused Coping Skills)by Barbara A. Lewis
Synopses & Reviews
These exciting true stories will inspire teens to believe in themselves and the ability of determined young people to make a difference in the world. As fun to read as fiction, the stories are engaging and accessible—a great way to encourage reluctant readers.
In Kids with Courage, readers meet 18 remarkable kids with the courage to speak out, fight back, come to the rescue, and stand up for their beliefs.
• The student had a loaded gun and a room full of hostages. Police surrounded the school. Then Ruben Ortega got mad...
• Norvell Smith knew there would be gang members in the audience. But she looked right at them and gave them a piece of her mind...
• It was the middle of winter, and the woman had no shoes. Frank Daily looked down at his Nikes and made a decision...
• The house was filled with smoke and flames. And Melinda Clark couldn’t find her little brother...
• Mr. Smith threatened to kill her mother and brother. But Mercedes Jones spoke out anyway—and a sexual abuser went to jail...
• Andrew Holleman had practically grown up on the wetlands. He loved its plants, creatures, and gooey mud. Then he heard about the developer’s plan...
National award-winning author Barbara A. Lewis provides the inspiration to empower young people to make a difference in their communities and in the world.
Meet 18 remarkable kids with the courage to speak out, fight back, come to the rescue, and stand up for their beliefs. As fun to read as fiction, these exciting true stories prove that anyone, at any age, in any life circumstance, can make a real difference in the world. Photos.
About the Author
Barbara A. Lewis is a former public school teacher and sought-after speaker. She has received many awards for excellence in writing, teaching, and leading youth in service projects and social action. She and her students were honored for community contributions by President Clinton and have been featured nationally in many magazines and newspapers, in The Congressional Record, and on television. Barbara’s books also include What Do You Stand For? (For Kids and For Teens), The Teen Guide to Global Action, The Kid’s Guide to Social Action, and The Kid’s Guide to Service Projects. She lives in Park City, Utah.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Children's » Biographies » Social Activists