- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
This title in other editions
Other titles in the Political Theory and Contemporary Philosophy series:
On Hegel's Philosophy of Right: The 1934-35 Seminar and Interpretive Essays (Political Theory and Contemporary Philosophy)by Martin Heidegger
Synopses & Reviews
This is the first English translation of the seminar Martin Heidegger gave during the Winter of 1934-35, which dealt with Hegel's Philosophy of Right. This remarkable text is the only one in which Heidegger interprets Hegel's masterpiece in the tradition of Continental political philosophy while offering a glimpse into Heidegger's own political thought following his engagement with Nazism. It also confronts the ideas of Carl Schmitt, allowing readers to reconstruct the relation between politics and ontology.
The book is enriched by a collection of interpretations of the seminar, written by select European and North American political thinkers and philosophers. Their essays aim to make the seminar accessible to students of political theory and philosophy, as well as to open new directions for debating the relation between the two disciplines. A unique contribution, this volume makes available key lectures by Heidegger that will interest a wide readership of students and scholars.
About the Author
Peter Trawny is Professor of Philosophy at Bergische University, Wuppertal, Germany. He is the co-editor of Heidegger's Gesamtausgabe, or the complete works.
Marcia Cavalcante Schuback is Professor of Philosophy at Södertörn University, Sweden. The translator of Heidegger's Being and Time into Portuguese, her books include Praise of Nothingness: Essays on Philosophical Hermeneutics (2006) and The Beginning of God: An Inquiry into Schelling's Late Philosophy (1998).
Michael Marder is Ikerbasque Research Professor in the Department of Philosophy at the University of the Basque Country (UPV-EHU), Vitoria-Gasteiz. He is the author of, most recently, Phenomena—Critique—Logos: The Project of Critical Phenomenology (2014); and The Philosophers Plant: An Intellectual Herbarium (2014).
Martin Heidegger (1889-1976) is regarded as one of the twentieth century's most important philosophers.
Table of Contents
1934-5 seminar of Martin Heidegger on Hegel's Philosophy of Right (Translated by Andrew Mitchell)
1. Heidegger's Reading of Philosophy of Right as a Critique of Hegel's Logik (Marcia Cavalcante Schuback)
2. Hegel, Heidegger, and Political Terror (Rebecca Comay)
3. Political Ontology in Hegel and Heidegger (Jean-François Courtine)
4. The Politics of Life and Death in Hegel and Heidegger (Françoise Dastur)
5. Remarks on Heidegger's Discussion of Hegel's Political Science (Staatslehre) (Matthias Flatscher)
6. Martin Heidegger and the Total State (Alexandre Franco de Sa)
7. Hegel at the Service of the Fuhrerprinzip (Susanna Lindberg)
8. The Question of Political Existence: Hegel, Heidegger, Schmitt (Michael Marder)
9. Self-Assertion as Founding (Richard Polt)
10. Politics and Tragedy: Heidegger's Transformation of the Political (Peter Trawny)
What Our Readers Are Saying