- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
This title in other editions
Other titles in the Newmarket Pictorial Moviebooks series:
The Alamo: The Illustrated Story of the Epic Film (Newmarket Pictorial Moviebook)by Frank Thompson
Synopses & Reviews
With more than 125 photos in full color and the complete screenplay, the exciting companion to the only theatrical Alamo film in over 40 years—from director John Lee Hancock, starring Dennis Quaid, Billy Bob Thornton, Jason Patric, and Patrick Wilson.
This lavish volume reveals the behind-the-scenes story of the making of this extraordinary film, covering its pre-production, the 101 days of production (most of it on the largest movie set in the world, on 45 acres near Austin, Texas), and post-production. Included is first-hand testimony from stars Dennis Quaid (Sam Houston), Billy Bob Thornton (David Crockett), Jason Patric (James Bowie), Patrick Wilson (William Barret Travis), Jordi Mollá (Juan Seguin), and Emilio Echevarría (Santa Anna), as well as the talented production team who tell how they brought the world of 1836 Texas to vivid life with meticulously re-created costumes and sets. 125 color photos and drawings. Alamo chronology and bibliography.
About the Author
Frank Thompson is a writer, filmmaker, film historian, and the author of over thirty books, including five nonfiction books on the Alamo, as well as Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, and . He is also the author of the novelization, The Alamo. He lives in North Hollywood, California.
John Lee Hancock is the director of The Alamo and The Rookie.
Table of Contents
Foreword by John Lee Hancock
1. History in the Making: The Filming of The Alamo
2. Thirteen Days: The Siege and Fall of the Alamo
3. An Alamo Chronology: Day by Day
4. Stone for Stone: Production Designer Michael Corenblith
5. The Cast of Characters: Sam Houston, David Crockett, William Barret Travis, James Bowie, James Butler Bonham, Santa Anna, General Manuel Castrillon, Juan Seguin, General Cos, Joe and Sam
6. An Alamo Filmography
7. Living History: The Alamo Boot Camp
8. The Historians - Hardin and Huffines; The Challenges of Archaic Spanish
9. The Psychology of Style: Costume Designer Daniel Orlandi
10. Haunting and Tender: Composer Carter Burwell
11. Muskets and Long Knives: The Weaponry of The Alamo
12. A "Greater Reality": Matte World Digital
13. Remember the Alamo!
14. The Screenplay: Written by Leslie Bohem and Stephen Gaghan and John Lee Hancock
16. A Selected Alamo Bibliography
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Arts and Entertainment » Film and Television » History and Criticism