- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Guilford Family Therapy series:
The Reflecting Team in Action: Collaborative Practice in Family Therapy (Guilford Family Therapy)by Steven Friedman
Synopses & Reviews
Book News Annotation:
Incorporates the innovative therapeutic principles and practices described in editor Friedman's recent work, The New Language of Change, focusing on the reflecting team approach to family therapy. Offers in-depth guidelines for applying the approach in clinical contexts such as outpatient clinics, managed-care organizations, and school settings. For professionals and graduate students in psychology, psychiatry, social work, and counseling.
Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
This volume offers the first in-depth and comprehensive view on the reflecting team process, a new and original set of ideas and practices that is transforming the field of family therapy. Bringing together an international group of pioneering contributors, this book advances a concept of therapy as a public and participatory forum in which many voices are heard and affirmed. Therapeutic teams and audiences provide a wealth of creative possibilities as client and therapist collaborate to find new meanings and options for action, opening space for family (and community) change. Through both theoretical presentations and detailed clinical transcripts, the contributors illustrate the benefits and utility of applying the reflecting team approach in a wide variety of clinical contexts.
About the Author
Steven Friedman, PhD, is a clinical psychologist at Atlantic Counseling & Consultation in Weymouth, Massachusetts, and a senior consultant at Beacon Health Strategies in Boston. An active presenter of workshops and seminars on time-effective therapy and family therapy, Dr. Friedman serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Systemic Therapies.
Widely published, his edited volumes include The New Language of Change: Constructive Collaboration in Psychotherapy, and The Reflecting Team in Action: Collaborative Practice in Family Therapy.
Table of Contents
Foreword, Hoffman. Opening Reflections, Friedman.
I. The Reflecting Process: Opening Dialogues.
1. Reflecting Processes: Acts of Informing and Forming, Andersen.
2. Using the Reflecting Process with Families Stuck in Violence and Child Abuse, Kjellberg, Edwardsson, Niemelä, and Öberg.
3. Treating Psychosis by Means of Open Dialogue, Seikkula, Aaltonen, Alakare, Haarakangas, Keränen, and Sutela.
4. When Patients Somatize and Clinicians Stigmatize: Opening Dialogue between Clinicians and the Medically Marginalized, Griffith and Griffith.
5. Reflective and Collaborative Voices in the School, Swim.
6. A Spell in the Fifth Province: It's between Meself, Herself, Yerself, and Yer Two Imaginary Friends, McCarthy
II. The Reflecting Team: Hosting Collaborative Conversations.
7. Offering Reflections: Some Theoretical and Practical Considerations, Lax. 8. Through Susan's Eyes: Reflections on a Reflecting Team Experience, Janowsky, Dickerson, and Zimmerman.
9. Widening the Lens, Sharpening the Focus: The Reflecting Process in Managed Care, Friedman, Brecher, and Mittelmeier.
10. Rap Music with Wisdom: Peer Reflecting Teams with Tough Adolescents, Selekman.
III. The Community as Audience: Reauthoring Stories
11. Consulting Your Consultants: A Means to the Coconstruction of Alternative Knowledges, Epston, White, and "Ben."
12. From "Spy-chiatric Gaze" to Communities of Concern: From Professional Monologue to Dialogue, Madigan and Epston.
13. Public Practices: An Ethic of Circulation, Lobovits, Maisel, and Freeman. 14. Family Reunions: Communities Celebrate New Possibilities, Nichols
15. A Journey of Change through Connection, Adams-Westcott and Isenbart. Closing Reflections: On Communities, Connections, and Conversations, Friedman.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » Medical Specialties