- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Other titles in the Smart Guide series:
Smart Guide: Vegetables: The Easy Way to Grow Food Successfully (Smart Guide)by Creative Homeowner
Synopses & Reviews
Intended for those who want to enjoy eating super-fresh homegrown produce but don't know how, this book is a concise guide vegetable gardening system for busy people and first-time gardeners.
Readers will learn how to set their garden and why the time spent getting ready to sow will be repaid many times over during the summer. They will find out how to grow, learning all about mulches and weed covers, garden sites, and planting plans. Then, vegetable by vegetable, they will see how to make their garden grow and which craops are for them.
By growing their own vegetables, readers will enjoy crops harvested at the peak of perfection, bringing food from garden to table in minutes flat. And they'll be eating the freshest home-grown vegetables, herbs, and fruit available instead of the underripe or limp, sickly offerings so often found in supermarkets.
Starting with the basics, this book is a concise guide to vegetable gardening for busy people.
Smart Guide®: Vegetables is a concise guide to vegetable gardening for busy people. Readers will learn how to plan their garden; how to install beds and a watering system; how to grow, learning all about mulches and weed covers, garden sites, and planting schedules; how to maintain their garden day by day; and how to harvest and store vegetables.
- 275 color photographs
- How to grow and maintain each vegetable or fruit
- Do-it-yourself soil tests
- Keeping one step ahead of weeds the natural way
- Ways to keep crops fresh and full of flavor after picking
- A-Z guide to fruit and vegetables
This SmartGuide® shows you the best ways to raise a variety of vegetables, herbs, and fruits.
• All of your favorites explained
• Essential information to help you prepare the soil, select the best cultivars, and save on your food bill
• Clear step-by-step planting and harvesting instructions
• Tips that save time, effort, and money
• Over 195 color photographs and illustrations
Table of Contents
Part 1: Creating a Vegetable Garden
Where Does Your Garden Grow?
Transplants (with box on buying transplants)
Watering and Feeding
Mulching and Weeding
Staking and Supporting
Part II: Growing Vegetables
Vegetables from A to Z
What Our Readers Are Saying