- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Other titles in the Contemporary World Issues series:
Animal Rights (Contemporary World Issues)by Clifford J. Sherry
Synopses & Reviews
First published in 1994, Animal Rights: A Reference Handbook was widely acclaimed for its objective look at the ways in which humans treat animals. Extensively revised and updated, this new edition explores the basis for current perspectives on animal rights by addressing the relationship between humans and animals from scientific, philosophical, legal, and religious points of view.
Animal Rights: A Reference Handbook, Second Edition maintains the balance and accessibility of the first edition, letting readers decide the bounds of human responsibility toward animals. It surveys a wide range of controversies surrounding the use of animals in such fields as the food industry, medical research, and the realm of entertainment, as well as the tremendous surge in scientific discoveries and technological advances that have led to new conversations on animal rights in the 21st century.
Book News Annotation:
This reference work on animal rights has been comprehensively updated in its second edition. Author Sherry (educator and author) examines the increasing controversy over the uses and treatment of animals and the views and sympathies of animal rights advocates, professionals who work with animals, and the general public. He explores those points of view by discussing the relationships between humans and animals from scientific, philosophical, legal, and religious perspectives. New features of the second edition include: updated biographical sketches and 20 new entries, a greatly expanded bibliography, a clarification of the differences between animal rights and animal welfare, and relevant key concepts such as anthropomorphism, sentience, sapience, and pain and suffering. Annotation ©2010 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
• Includes a significantly updated collection of biographical sketches, with 20 entries new to this edition
• Offers a greatly expanded bibliography, now including a wealth of resources available online
This revised edition helps readers understand and develop their own opinions on the fundamental issues, enduring controversies, and critical developments associated with animal rights.
• Clarifies the difference between animal rights and animal welfare as a way of interpreting the relationship between animals and humans
• Discusses key concepts, such as anthropomorphism, speciesism, sentience, sapience, and the evaluation of pain and suffering, in a language general readers can grasp
• Addresses both religious and secular viewpoints of animal treatment
What Our Readers Are Saying
Business » General