- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Other titles in the Contemporary World Issues series:
Child Soldiers: A Reference Handbook (Contemporary World Issues)by David M. Rosen
Synopses & Reviews
In conflict-torn countries such as Myanmar and Uganda, the use of child soldiers in military and paramilitary operations continues to occur despite widespread condemnation and the efforts of organizations such as the Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers. This book will allow readers to grasp the impact of this issue for both individuals and nations worldwide.
Child Soldiers: A Reference Handbook traces the evolution of child soldiers from approximately 1940 onwards, covering important historical to modern conflicts. The subject is discussed from a global perspective, with particular attention given to areas where the use of child soldiers is most prevalent. The book covers the complex underlying reasons for the continued use of child soldiers in the modern world, examines the political and psychological consequences of using children—both male and female—in military and paramilitary organizations, and describes how this subject has been addressed by international law and various human rights organizations.
This book exposes the role of children in war, describing where, why, and how children are deployed, the attempts made by international organizations to protect children, and the underlying political and cultural issues that make this such a thorny issue.
• Addresses the legal framework governing child soldiers, including international conventions, treaties, United Nations resolutions, and the International Criminal Court.
• Traces the evolution of child soldiers from historical to modern conflicts
• Emphasizes political and cultural issues underlying international approaches to child soldiers
• A chronology of major events in the efforts to limit the use of child soldiers
• Biographical sketches of famous child soldiers and key figures in the effort to ban the use of child soldiers
• A directory of organizations involved in the child soldier issue
What Our Readers Are Saying
History and Social Science » Ethnic Studies » Immigration