- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Contemporary World Issues series:
Childhood Sexual Abuse (Contemporary World Issues)by Karen L. Kinnear
Synopses & Reviews
Even though it is as old as human history, child sexual abuse has generally remained a dark and well-hidden secret. Only in the last few decades has it become a topic of open public debate and scientific research, and we still have more questions than answers. How often are accusations of sexual abuse legitimate, and how often are they the result of false memories? Can sexual offenders be cured, or will they ultimately re-offend?
These are only a few of the difficult questions this volume seeks to answer. Childhood Sexual Abuse: A Reference Handbook explores the many ways we define child sexual abuse in the United States and in different parts of the world and how those differences are represented in U.S. and international laws. It summarizes what we know about how to intervene, treat, and prevent childhood sexual abuse effectively and tells the stories of individuals who have had a dramatic effect on the handling of childhood sexual abuse. For students, social workers, teachers, policymakers, parents, and concerned citizens, this work offers a one-stop, multifaceted discussion of one of the major issues facing children and their families.
Book News Annotation:
This reference for students in high school and up surveys the literature and other resources on the causes, treatment, and prevention of childhood sexual abuse, and directs readers to sources for further research. The reference contains a detailed chronology, biographical sketches, facts and data, documents and other primary source material, a directory of organizations and agencies, and annotated lists of print and nonprint resources. Kinnear is a professional researcher who has written other reference books on women's and children's issues. Annotation ©2007 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
• One of the few comprehensive studies of child sexual abuse
• Offers an international perspective as well as the U.S. view of the issue
• Explores the latest controversies, including revelations about abuse by priests, Internet child pornography, and the publication of tracking information on abusers released from prison
• A chronology of important events in the history of child sexual abuse covers the various laws and how they've changed over the centuries (from religious laws allowing marriage to minor girls up through the latest laws relating to Internet issues), notable abuse cases, the formation of major anti-abuse organizations, and top scientific studies
• Excerpts from relevant U.S. and international laws and conventions
This work is an important new edition of a classic study—one of the few exhaustive examinations of childhood sexual abuse available—with 40 percent new material.
Child sexual abuse occurs. We've always known that. But we like to think that it happens only rarely, and only in "other" families and "other" countries. So it's shocking to learn that 4,392 Catholic priests have been accused of abusing 10,667 minors. That over 100,000 websites feature child pornography. That there are 10 million child prostitutes throughout the world.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Health and Self-Help » Abuse » General