- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
How to Be Safe: Protect Yourself, Your Home, Your Family, and Your Business from Crime
Synopses & Reviews
How to Be Safe is the most comprehensive safety and security manual on the market, encouraging individuals to take a positive, preventive approach to their own safety.
This well-researched reference, written by the founder and chairman of Guardsmark, one of the world’s largest security service companies, shows you how to protect yourself from crime even when challenged by the greatest odds.
Jam-packed with unique tips and handy guidelines to deal with muggers, burglars, stalkers, and worse, HOW TO BE SAFE reveals what attracts criminals to you, your home, your loved ones, or your business and provides the proven tactics to scare them off. From securing your home with tips from the professionals to protecting your investments and arming your computer with the best virus-protection software, the information inside will help you stay one step ahead of even the savviest criminal minds. If you’re concerned about becoming a victim of crime, keep this book handy and follow its practical and personally relevant advice. Learn the secrets of the security pros and discover how to…
· Secure your home while on vacation.
· Establish a safe workplace.
· Protect kids from violence and bullying.
· Stay safe when jogging, shopping, or taking mass transportation.
· Detect an unsafe college campus.
· Avoid Internet scams and e-mail traps.
· Select a safe nursing home or daycare center.
· Deal with sexual assault and stalkers.
· Respond to a terrorist attack.
· And so much more!
Crime exists in many forms in every society, and as the world changes, new threats emerge—from bioterrorism to identity theft.
How to Be Safe is the most comprehensive safety and security manual on the market, encouraging individuals to take a positive, preventive approach to their own safety. Its comprehensive sweep spans the gamut from “traditional” crimes on the street to stalking, hate crimes, identity theft, and terrorism. Topics covered include:
• Cybercrime: E-mail viruses, hacking, data breaches, identity theft, dating-service dangers, online sexual predators, and Internet ploys, such as eBay scams, fake work- from-home offers, phishing, and Trojan horse programs
• Investment Schemes: Futures, shell games, Ponzi schemes, data theft, land fraud, fast-buck commodities
• Protection at Home: Choosing an alarm system, reinforcing windows and doors, keeping strangers out, encountering an intruder, renting out your home or apartment, preparing for a trip, hiring help
• Family Violence: Safety at day-care centers; spousal, child, and elder abuse; sex-offender registries; protecting children from abduction; violence in the media, youth gangs, protection for latch-key kids
• Community Dangers: Crime on college and university campuses, bullying, neighborhood crime programs, safety in hospitals and nursing homes
• Safety in the Workplace: how to handle a robbery, dealing with downsizing and disgruntled employees, instilling a humane environment
• Terrorism: Bombs and bomb threats: food/water tampering; cruise, train, and plane safety; preparing an evacuation plan; nuclear threats
And lastly, knowing your rights! How to Be Safe instructs and educates readers on how to stay at least one step ahead of crafty predators and crooked profiteers—a resource that could save both lives and precious assets and allow for a more secure, protected environment.
Crime exists in many forms in every society, and as the world changes, new threats emerge-from bioterrorism to identity theft.
How to Be Safe is the most comprehensive safety and security manual on the market, encouraging individuals to take a positive, preventive approach to their own safety. Its comprehensive sweep spans the gamut from traditional crimes on the street to stalking, hate crimes, and nursing home security.
Topics covered include:
Computer and High-Tech Crime: Internet ploys, such as eBay scams, fake work-from-home offers, phishing, Nigerian frauds; Trojan horse programs; e-mail viruses, and spoofing; Child security online Your Home or Property: Choosing an agent; Open houses; Screening potential buyers; Selling on Craigslist and online auctions Special Occasions with Special Risks: Holidays, funerals and weddings; The aftermath of an emergency situation Family Security: Safety at day-care centers; Spousal, child, and elder abuse; Sex-offender registries; Protecting children from abduction; Compulsive gambling Investment and White Collar Crime: Futures; Shell games; Ponzi schemes; Data theft; Land fraud; Fast-buck commodities Terrorism, Bombs, and Bomb Threats: Food/water tampering; Cruise, train, and plane safety; Evacuations; What to do if... How to Be Safe instructs and educates readers on how best to prevent crime-a resource that could save both lives and precious assets.
About the Author
Ira A. Lipman is the founder, Chief Executive Officer, and owner of Guardsmark, a privately held security services company with 153 branch offices in the United States of America, Canada, Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom and France. Known for its innovative security concepts and rigid standards of excellence, Guardsmark is one of the world’s largest security service companies. In 1992, Time magazine cited Guardsmark as the company “which many security experts consider the best national firm in the business.” In 2002, Ira Lipman won both the Corporate Citizenship Award from the Committee for Economic Development and the Stanley C. Pace Award for Leadership in Ethics from the Ethics Resource Center. He has written for the public on a wide range of security topics and contributes regularly to the professional literature of the security field. He is also the editor and publisher of The Lipman Report, a specialized monthly management newsletter. He has served on the boards of more than 40 organizations and holds membership in numerous others.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Engineering » Construction » General