- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
Automotive Technology: Prin Diagnos& Service
Synopses & Reviews
' This second edition of Automotive Technology: Principles, Diagnosis, and Service is organized around the eight major testing areas specified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). These areas of certification are detailed in the objectives for each chapter and all shop worksheets are correlated to the Task List recommended by National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF).
The primary focus is on the principles and procedures needed for successful diagnosis of automotive mechanical, electrical, and electronic problems. Each topic includes coverage of the purpose, function, operation, and diagnosis of the system plus the individual components that are involved. A multimedia approach is used, including:
Table of Contents
(NOTE: Each chapter starts with objectives, and ends with a summary, review questions, and ASE Certification-type questions.)
1. The Automotive Service Industry.
2. Tools, Fasteners, and Safety.
3. Preventative Maintenance and Service Procedures.
4. Engine Operation, Parts, and Specifications.
5. Engine Condition Diagnosis.
6. Engine Disassembly, Cleaning, and Crack Detection.
7. Cooling and Lubrication Systems.
8. Cylinder Heads and Valves.
9. Camshafts and Valve Trains.
10. Pistons, Rings, and Connecting Rods.
11. Engine Blocks, Crankshafts, and Bearings.
12. Engine Assembly and Installation.
13. Electrical and Electronic Principles and Circuits.
14. Meters, Scopes, Wiring, and Schematics.
15. Batteries and Battery Testing.
16. Cranking System Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
17. Charging Circuit Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
18. Lighting and Signaling Circuit Operation and Diagnosis.
19. Dash Instruments Operation and Diagnosis.
20. Accessory Circuits Operation and Diagnosis.
21. Audio System Operation and Diagnosis Principles.
22. Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.
23. Heating and Air Conditioning Diagnosis and Service.
24. Ignition System Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
25. Computers and On-Board Diagnostics.
26. Computer Sensor Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
27. Engine Fuels and Combustion.
28. Computerized Carburetor Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
29. Electronic Fuel-Injection Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
30. Emission Control Device Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
31. Engine Performance Diagnosis and Testing.
32. Brake System Principles and Operation.
33. Master Cylinders and the Hydraulic System.
34. Wheel Bearings and Service.
35. Drum Brake Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
36. Disc Brake Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
37. Machining Brake Drums and Rotors.
38. Power-Assisted Brakes.
39. Antilock Brakes.
40. Tires and Wheels.
41. Steering System Diagnosis and Service.
42. Suspension System Diagnosis and Service.
43. Wheel Alignment Principles, Diagnosis, and Service.
45. Manual Transmissions/Transaxles.
46. Drive Shafts and CV Joints.
48. Four-Wheel Drive and All-Wheel Drive.
49. Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Principles.
50. Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Diagnosis, and Service.
What Our Readers Are Saying