- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Hodder Arnold Publication series:
Ageing Societiesby Sarah Harper
Synopses & Reviews
This unique look at an increasingly important topic examines both the Developed and Less Developed Worlds, challenging the doom and burden scenario to show the opportunities and realities of an increasingly ageing population over the next twenty years. Topics include broad aspects of work, family, and health, as well as the theoretical issues of age, age discrimination, demographic change, and others.
About the Author
Sarah Harper is Director of the Oxford Institute of Ageing at the University of Oxford, UK. She has taught and studied issues of demography and societal ageing in China, Scandinavia, Australia, and the USA, and was a professor in public policy at the University of Chicago, USA.
Table of Contents
1. Ageing Societies.
2. The Dynamics of Population Ageing.
3. Understanding Age and Ageing.
4. Retirement: From Rest to Reward to Right.
5. Intergenerational Contract and Social Security.
6. Changing Families.
7. Intergenerational Relationships and Family Care/Challenges.
8. Providing Economic Securityin Less Developed Countries.
9. Supporting Families and Elder Care in Less Developed Countries.
10. Equal Treatment, Equal Rights: Ending Age Discrimination.
11. Mature Societies: Planning for our Future Selves.
What Our Readers Are Saying